We just bought a puppy but my kids 4 and 3 are terrified of it what do I do?

It's a Cocker Spaniel only 13 weeks old. They scream hysterically if I even let the poor puppy come out to play. They run to their rooms and close the door.. I feel bad for them and but we had been wanting a dog and he cost a pretty penny to give it up so quick. Its only been 2 days but they are not coming around and it's driving me nuts. The kids screaming and when I put the dog in the cage he cries cause he wants out.. Should I get rid of it or should I wait and see if they come around? Any sudgestions?

Barbara144

Asked by Barbara144 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• have you ever had a dog before? it sounds like they just have no idea that it's not dangerous. a cocker spaniel is one of the least threatening dogs out there. My first reaction would be to give it up, but I know how much money you must have spent. try to spend some one on one time with them and the dog. maybe take one of you children and hold them, let daddy hold the dog across from you guys and slowly show them that it's not going to hurt daddy or you or them. then do this with the other kid. a 13 week old puppy shouldn't be that big to scare them so bad. have they had a bad experience with a neighbors dog? good luck, this will take some time. try to give them each a special toy that they can play with the puppy with, make it a bonding thing between them and the dog....just a few suggestions
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Introduce the kiddos to the dog slowly. Put him on his leash and hold him so that they know they are safe, call the kiddos over and tell them "It's ok..." they need to feel safe around the dog. Have them look at him and comfort them as they do... eventually (and it might even happen quick) have them pet him nicely (teaching them that it is ok and that they have to be nice) all the while shoeing them how nice the dog can be....
    Good Luck!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 12:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If your kids have never been around a dog before they might just not understand. Tell them this is a nice animal and it just wants to play with them and be their friend. I agree with the first poster. Have your husband hold the dog and slowly walk each kid 1 at a time over to the dog and have them pet it. You just need to give them time to adjust. This is a new thing living in their house that they don't quite understand. But they won't be terrified forever.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No, We haven't had any dogs ever.. My daughter did have two scares with dogs. Once when she was learning to walk a dog scared her and she fell and hurt her head.. Then when we lived in an apartment our neighbors dog just came at her and these were both big dogs. She's never been bit or nothing only scared. My son is only scared cause she is.
    Barbara144

Answer by Barbara144 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Explain to them that the dog is just a baby. Take it slowly and they will adapt.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 1:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i would give it time...its something new to them, they just need to realize or figure out that the puppy is gonne be ok..make them feel like they are a part of it..get them to feed the pup, hold the leash on walks, give them treats, maybe take them to a dollar store and let them pick out a new toy for the puppy..but i would give it time..good luck..and have fun with your new pup!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Don't get rid of the poor puppy. Give them time to get used to it. Play him in the living room, and if they want to emerge from their rooms tell them that they can play with him to. Show them how he will go after a ball. Or chase a light that shining on the wall. Go for a family walk with him around the block. Take him to the park with them. Our kids love our dogs, and in time yours will loves your puppy too.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You could train both of them at once. I found puppies for dummies an extremely helpful book for dealing with my puppy (shih tzu, but he's a bigger one so probably about the size of your pup)
    Whe I was training him what acceptable behavior looked like he was tethered to something at all times. He would be tethered to me if I was wandering between rooms or if we were watching tv he was tethered in "his" part of the room with a comfy place to lie and a treat. he has his own spot in the rooms where he is allowed to go and was trained that he cannot go into our bedrooms without us. This would probably make the kiddos feel more comfortable too, to know that puppy is restrained. Mine is now two and still follows me when I walk through the house and lies at our feets when we sit in the living room. Good Luck, and give it more time
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 11:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2009