Will this help her potty train?

I have been trying to potty train my daughter for almost a week now. She is almost 2 and a half (2 years and 4 months) and is showing all the signs of readiness. The first day, I let her run around in a shirt and underwear, and I watched her like a hawk. And I kept asking her, she did really good, and a few times she actually went by herself, but as soon as 5 :00 rolled around, she peed her pants 3 times in a row, the next day, I kept asking her, and she would tell me no and pee her pants two seconds later. So, now I have started timing it and making her go every 45 mins to an hour (not even asking her, just setting her on the potty), but is that gonna help her potty train at all, or make her know what it feels like to have to go? I just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing here. If not, then, please share your advice.

M0mMy_0f_2

Asked by M0mMy_0f_2 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I told my daughter every time I had to go it kinda reminded her and took the pressure off at the same time. And I took her to pick out her own big girl panties I had to go straight from diapers to undies those pull ups are spendy if you ask me.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Every kid potty trains different, I wouldn't be scared for trying new things, If it works for her do it.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Taking her on a set schedule is a great way to go. Many kids will lie and simply say "NO" if you ask them if they have to go - even if their legs are tied in knots, they are holding themselves, and tears are rolling down their cheeks from the effort of holding it in.
    Why?
    Because telling you "yes" means they are voluntarily leaving their play, their toys, all the fun stuff to go sit in the bathroom.
    Don't ask and don't expect her to go on her own. Help her succeed by keeping track for her. To start with, do what you are doing, take her often. Once she really seems to have the hang of it, make the intervals longer but never longer than 2.5 hours. Once she's doing well with that, you can just watch her. If she starts "dancing" or it's been longer than 2 hours since she last went, then TELL her it is time to go. You can stop telling her to go when she goes on her own, every time, for 3 days, staying dry the whole time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yeah, you're right not to ask... the answer's always no. After awhile, once she has the association down, you can work on getting her to initiate it. First, tell her what about her body language tells you she needs to go. "I see you're doing the pee pee dance, let's go potty"... she'll notice what she's feeling at that time. Also, then you can start a special reward (you're doing small rewards now, right, like stickers or something) that she gets ONLY if she tells YOU she needs to go. We did M & M's and we presented it like this. Quentin, do you want an M & M? If so, tell me, "Wanna go potty" and show ME to the potty. The first few times she did it just for the candy, but modeling that ritual for her helped her to know what to do when she got that feeling. She started doing it whenever she needed to go, and so we tapered off the rewards and now she's totally trained. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• she may not realize that she has to go when you ask. tell here it's time to go and make her sit for a few minutes. repeat the pattern every hour or so. eventually she'll realize every time she has to go and just go.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 2:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• lots of people do it different ways.

we chose to go the "3 Day Potty Training" method and, from the start, asked our children to initiate. we would tell them CONSTANTLY: "make sure you tell mommy or daddy if you need to go potty". if we saw them going w/o having told us, we rushed them to the bathroom and sat them on the toilet even if it was too late. we used words like "yucky" instead of "bad girl/boy" since they were just learning and didn't need disapproval, just instruction.

our son potty trained in about a week at 27 months. our daughter at 20 months in 2 days. we'll see how it goes now with our next daughter. she is 18 mo but still not walking, but not sure when we will start.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009