do military personell get to say no to vaccinations?

i was in the army in 2001 -2003 and when ever we were to get shots for whatever reason they said that we had to get them even if it was just a flu shot. but i was wondering if this was true or not. Do you have to get them because you are not government property or can you waive them because it is your choice?

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think they give you a chicken pox shot

Here is a list of vaccines

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blvaccinations.htm

bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 1:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• As far as I know you are REQUIRED to vaccinate while enlisted (unless you have severe reactions that have been previously documented) This all goes into being property of the USA. At least this is what my brother said about getting shots, going to the dentist, etc. while he was enlisted for 6 years.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The actually person enlisted is required to, but I am not sure if they are required to get their children vaccinated.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm not sure. When I got my physical I said that I didn't want some shots because I was breastfeeding...they didn't even check my files to see if I even had a child. So I could have easily been telling a lie and they wouldn't know. But just for the record I was breastfeeding and I'm in the National Guard which may make a difference...we don't always do things by the books.
    But when I first enlisted I know I got about 6 shots back to back and I only knew what one of the shots was. So I'm assuming when you first enlist the shots are mandatory unless it's against someone's religion.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Only the enlisted is required not the family members. My children were not vaccinated until they were starting kindergarten. The military never intervened. My husband says it is mandatory he is active duty army.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Now that is think about it, certian vaccinations might be required for family if we travel overseas. I am not 100% on that as we have never been assigned an overseas assignment.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• k so it is mandatory, man i wish they would cut back though. we were getting ready to deploy and i ended up getting 15 shots in one arm including the tetanus one. my other are was reserved for the small pox shot. i think that the army needs to keep better shot records so that your not getting a ton at once.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It is required. If you refuse, they can charge you and put you in the brig. This happened about 03-04 on Camp Lejeune when a Marine refused. A lot of people thought he was just trying to get out of deploying.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No one should be allowed to turn down vaccinations.
    Anonymous

• My son had all his childhood shots on time and he was up to date and everything, but when he enlisted at 18 they repeated all his vaccinations with every innoculation known to modern man and when he was deployed to Iraq, they did it again and added shots for some exotic things I never even heard of before. He was informed this was not optional.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009