Do you, personally, have an issue with CONSENTUAL polygamy?

I'm not speaking of the kind that children are forced into before they become legal. I'm speaking of a polygamous relationship between 3 or more consenting adults.

Asked by momof9_slc at 1:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope! You do what you gotta do! I actually think it's pretty sane. :) At least you're happy in your marriage, which isn't something a lot of monogamous wives can say!

Answer by jacksmom27 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I'm going to have to say no. If for no other reason than it's against the law. But for myself I don't understand how any woman could "share" their husband like that. I understand that their are benefits to it and that in some cases (those not related to the FLDS) the envirement is great for kids. I watched an episode on Oprah last year that had a poly family in Arizonia. The husband had three wives and they all seemed very happy with it. But for me I wouldn't be able to do it.

I will say this though if you are happy and there is absolutely no jealousy what-so-ever with knowing your husband is going to be sleeping with someone else then... it's your call.

Just out of curiosity how would it work if you were upset with your husband and trying to with-hold sex as the punishment. Wouldn't he just go to one of the other partners? Or is there some rule stating that if one of you is going to with hold all of you have to.

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No not at all. If all parties are in agreement then who am I to stick my nose in your business? I think if you are happy, your sister wives are happy, your husband is happy and the kids are happy MORE POWER TO YA.

Answer by belladonna777 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I do not have a problem with consenting adults (who are legally able to make sound decisions) being in that type of a relationship. I think it takes people who are confident, mature and secure in who they are as a person to make them work.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I personally do not have a problem with it, it's not something that I could do, but thats just me. I am very supportive of people who do it, they always seem to be much happier than the rest. I've also read that it is wonderful for the children that are involved! That makes it that much better.
    As long as everyone is on the up and up about it, I don't see a problem with it!

Answer by JayzMomma at 2:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No, just a curiosity about it.

Answer by isra1986 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I don't agree with it and would never choose that lifestyle for myself, but I don't know that it should be illegal. I appreciate supportive relationships and think as long as it's completely consensual, then it's nobody's business. There are worse things that should be illegal. Why should consensual polygamists be considered to be committing felonies like a murderer? That doesn't make sense and the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Answer by LRBsMommy at 3:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• As long as everyone's over 18 and consenting, then go for it.

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• your talking about swinging right? What consenting adults do in private is their own business.

Answer by vbruno at 4:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Of course not! I hope to live it one day. LOL!

The problem I have is that those who live consentual plural marriage are faced with possible jail time and having their kids taken from them.

Answer by kcangel63 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008