Can you really be "just" friends with an ex?

I've tried it and I can't. Like I don't like talking to my babys father since I still have feelings for him and my ex boyfriend is mad because I'm seeing other ppl.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• yes i am just friends with a couple of my exs
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think in some cases, it's possible. One of my close friends is a guy I dated seriously back in high school. We don't have feelings for each other. I just see him as a friend and I know way too much about him to be interested in him again. I am happy with my husband. But it has been 9 years since I dated this guy. It took a couple years before we even spoke to each other again after the break up. We know a lot about each other because of our close friendship and know we would never be right for each other. I think as long as there aren't feelings there, it's possible. But it's not for everyone.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Depends on the ex, I have a few that are friends but there are those who can't imagine that my life can continue without them, those are the ones that should be avoided at all costs, if a guy can deal with you seeing someone else and you can deal with him seeing someone else then it's ok to be friends, if not then avoid avoid avoid.
    Anonymous

• I think it is possible, as long as it doesn't bother your husband.. You need to respect his feelings above and beyond any ex. But yes as long as you or the ex don't harbor any desire to reunite, it is totally fine for you to remain friends with someone you cared deeply for. It is also okay for you to decide to not remain in contact. If there are feelings of hurt, betrayal, etc.. you don't want to be fake and pretend to be their friend while secretly wishing they would be run over by a Brinks armored truck.. just not a healthy situation..lol

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 12:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm friends with my ex. It didn't happen immediately though, we had to have time apart. By the time we were able to be friends again we had both moved on to someone else. I'm now married and he is engaged and we are pretty close friends: talk on a regular basis, go out for lunch, etc. He is friends with hubby as well.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No you cant, there will always be that BIG elephant in the room..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think that you can as long as there is no
    feeling involved...romantic feeling...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Never managed it myself, but I do know a few people who have. Two of them were married, had kids, divorced, and got remarried and NOW the ex husband, them, and the new husband are all the best of friends. I guess it depends on how it ended, if it was mutual,and if the "ex" partners are free from any and all feelings for one another.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009