can this harm a child?

The lady that lives next door to us I talk to her sometimes if we are both outside, but we don't like hang out together or anything like that, but anyway she says her 8 or 9 year old son I think he is 8 has ADHD but she refuses to put him on ridalin so she gives him Fishing oil for those that don't know what that is it is a kind of vitamin I guess anyway, she said she thinks it wasn't working anymore because he was really hyper so she is on zoloft, but only takes it when she needs it not all the times she takes 25 MG. So she told me this yesterday about the oil and she said she started giving him 25 MG of zoloft I thought WHAT???? Isn't that dangerous? I know when I was on it I am not taking it now bc I can't afford to go every month or 3 toget seen and the meds. It was proven that, that meds can cause you to comet suiside so isn't that dangerous to give to your child without talking it over with the doctor???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• ANY prescription meds are harmful UNLESS prescribed directly to the child!!!! she is WRONG for doing that!
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• What is she thinking??? Well shez not im sure.. Yes i think this is very harmful to the child, she needs to be stopd, she could OD him.. Even if its just vitamins... Man this is ruff mama, i hate to hear you have to see this..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• well the zoloft isn't vitamins which is what she is giving him now oh and she says this calms his butt right down? She also has a 6 year old and a 2 month old then her hubby has a 16 year old, a 13 year old and an 11 year old. I thought it was pretty strange myslef when she told me she gives him zoloft that is a stronge drug
    Anonymous

• yes it is dangerous to give him prescription anti-depressants that haven't been prescribed to him. The fish oil is not harmful at all, BTW. We all need that.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• FIsh oil can help with adhd, my sons take it as well. It really can't hurt you unless you take a ton of it. The zoloft, however, is a totally different story. I'd be concerned, not about him commiting suicide, but about him being overdosed. 25mg is a lot! My sons ended up having to take meds for their adhd, but even their prescribed doses aren't that high, and it's a different med. She could kill him with an overdose, or cause severe damage to some of, if not all of, his internal organs. I would never, ever give my child a prescription drug w/o it being discussed with the dr, and being specifically prescribed for my child. I hesitate to even give them over the counter drugs.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Fish oil can help with just about anything. It's a lso a great supplament to take if you just had a baby, make your hair grow again. And can help with brain activity.
    No giving a child Zoloft is a Major NO NO. And she shoudl be reported. If at the least you just google the effects that it has on children, and why they don't prescribe it for them and had it to her. She needs to stop. My DD, 15 takes Concerta for her ADHD and its been working great for her the last 6 years.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Zoloft is addicting and dangerous if not prescribed by a doctor!! She has no idea if she is giving him the correct dose. She could kill her child from an overdose of Zoloft and she will be to blame. I would call CPS on her, especially if you have seen her give it to him. If you know his doctor, call the doctor and tell him or her what is going on. His life could be at stake. Geeze, some people just don't think, She needs to stop now. My son is ADHD and on 70mg of Vyvanse and is doing awesome on it. I take Xanax and as much as my son needs to calm down at times, I would NEVER give him my meds. That's just asking for trouble. BTW, fish oil is supposed to help with memory and ADHD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• TYFRY7496
    No I have not achually seen her give it to him, but she told me yesterday that she does give it to him because the oil stopped working. She then told me it calms his butt right down. I do not know here doctor.
    Anonymous

• Fish Oil is very good for the boy! It helps with propper brain development and function... But I was on Zoloft as a young child (8yrs) and can tell you it is very harmful, even if it's prescribed! But so is Ritilin! I most definitly would not be medicating my children if they weren't life or death reasons...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009