Weening my 12 month old

My son just turned 1 year old a few weeks ago. My breastfeeding goal was to BF him until he was a year. And I am curretnly only nursing him right before bedtim at 7 pm. How should I ween him? Should I start doing it every other night? Any advice would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• to TanyaR1024's question: I guess I wonder why you're questioning the original poster's decision to stop breastfeeding. Why does it matter why she wants to wean? Decisions about whether or not to BF and for how long are personal, and there could be many reasons why it feels like the right time for her to stop. She breastfed her baby for a full year, and that's beyond fabulous fabulous.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You just wait and let it happen slowly.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• This may shock you, but this advice came from my husband... He suggest not feeding him at bedtime, cuz the baby will assciate feeding with time to go to bed and that will make it harder to ween him... He suggest breastfeeding him around 5, the around bedtime give him some actual food so he will sleep longer and better.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I know this isn't answering the question but I'm wondering why you are trying to wean him, especially since he only nurses once a day? What is the harm in continuing that comforting bed time ritual?
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son just turned 10 months and is starting to wean. I also wanted to go a full year, but I think he's ready now. My milk production dropped off quite a bit in the past couple of months, so he's getting frustrated with nursing because he never gets enough milk that way anymore. At this point he seems happier to see the bottle than the boob.

As far as how to wean, I've been asking advice on this, too, and everyone keeps telling me to just reduce the number of nursings per day and taper off. You're already down to one per day, so my guess is if you tried going to every other day and adjusting him to bottles only at bedtime, he might be completely weaned pretty quickly. Now, what I don't know, and what I'm trying to figure out myself, is how does mom keep from getting engorged and sore when baby stops BF'ing? I went 48 hours recently without nursing or pumping, and my boobs got very hard and sore. :(
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You've pretty much done it. Hand baby to dad for bedtime. You are officially OFF that duty.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• When I was down to once a day (also at night), I cut down by 4 minutes every two days. I'd always timed how long I nursed (because she never would unlatch from one breast, so I had to keep track of how long she'd been on there). So, I went from 40 minutes to 36 minutes to 32 minutes, etc., until she was on so little that it wasn't really worth the effort. I told her that we were just going to read an extra story instead. If you slowly reduce the amount of time you spend nursing, the weaning will be gradual and more natural. You also will have less problems with engorgement. Good luck!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Just wanted to add do NOT replace night time nursing sessions with a bottle to bed. It's terrible for baby's oral development.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• mamastheword-because I was curious. If the OP didn't want to answer it she didn't have to. Some women feel like they have to wean just because their child has that "magical" birthday. As if their needs suddenly change after that day. I wanted to make sure she understands it is totally acceptable, preferred even, to continue. If she still wants to wean, fine.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• First off, thank you to those who answered my question...I do appreciate it. However, it is my choice to wean my son from breastfeeding and the reason why is private and I don't feel the need to share it with other moms I truly don't know. All I can say is that is absolutely NOT because he had a 'magical' birthday. Until today, I had totally felt like a 'winner' for breastfeeding my son for over a year.
    Anonymous