Autism?

I've heard a lot of people say that some kids with autism like to stack things, line things up, walk in circles, and flap their hands but what else do they do? I'm always paranoid about things and was wondering what else I should look for. My son is almost 16 months old and people are always saying how he's such a good boy because he stays beside me. I rarely have to chase him down when we're out somewhere and he acts very shy. He'll smile and laugh at people but he usually doesn't "talk" (babbling) to strangers. He doesn't do any of the things mentioned before i'm just a worrier and wanted to see if there's anything else that might be a sign.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, those are some of the signs, and yes 'typical' children will do those things sometimes too. Its perfectly normal to worry about it though. This website has a great list of 'red flags' to look for. www.firstsigns.org
    It's great that you're being proactive and finding out for sure, because if there were a problem finding out early makes a HUGE difference.
    Also, this website has what's called a 'video glossary' that shows videos of 'typical' kids and kids with autism doing similar tasks so that you can compare/contrast what the differences are.
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/video/index.php
    The most worrisome red flags would be not looking when you call their name, not bringing things to show you, not looking/interacting with you with joy/interest, not pointing to things, and not making eye contact for more than a few seconds.
    Your pediatrician should do an autism screening at age 18months, ask for it if he doesn't
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 1:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I am a CONSTANT Worrier about this! I started crying last friday because my son started banging his head - he's only 17 months - There are so many behavorial signs fo autism that are also "normal" (for the lack of a better word) kid things to do - sorry, I am no help but I am with ya!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Neurotypical is a good word to add to your vocabulary.

Those are some of the things, sure. However, as the saying goes, if you've met one autistic kid, you've met one autistic kid.

Regression is a big one. Regression in speech (or never speaking), regression in social skills, in emotions, in motor skills, etc.

Here's a good site to visit:
    http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter development plateaued at 18 months. I was worried mainly for her speech. After 2 months I got an autism diagnosis but have had the local regional center providing services since the first speech assessment. It is not a big deal to have a child with autism. It is different and takes some adjustment.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• instead of responding they generally repeat what you said or its like you're talking to a brick wall, crying for no apparent reason is also an indication. hand flapping, not social with others, doesnt like to be cuddled with
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I am right their with you my son is 16 months and still hasnt started talking and about 2 months ago my Dr mentioned something about Autism and ever sence then i have been so worried about it but he really acts completely normal other than the delay in talking and if he is not faceing u he acts like he cant hear u so i keep telling myself that their is prolly just something wrong with his hearing because he does seem to produce ALOT of ear wax
    greatmomof2boys

Answer by greatmomof2boys at 11:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009