Square footage of your home/ Size of your family

I would like to know the square footage of your home. Also the size of your family. My husband wants to move out of our 1,000 sq. ft. apartment and move into a home that is 567 sq. ft.. We have a two year old and we are expecting another child. Is this too small? It has a yard size of 8, 500 sq. ft. Im not sure and would love advice. Moms please help or give advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Are you kidding? Does he plan to put on an addition?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My honest opinion is that you can make it work wherever you live. But with that said you will have a yard is that something that your current apt offers. Not to mention that hopefully this house will have a garage and you can always put a storage shed in your yard. With your kids as young as they are having them in close quarters is not a horrible idea. But I do see why you are worried right now I am sure you have plenty of space.

With that said I currently live in a 4 bd 2 bath house and there are 6 of us. There is way mre that enough room here in fact there are parts of the house we don't really utilize.becaues we all like to be together in the backyard . Even my boys (3) choose to pile into one room to sleep. no matter if they have their own room. And our dd sleeps in a bed in our room.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 1:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• we have 1300 sqft and 5 people here full time and 7 in the summer....its WAYYYYYYY too small. Yards are important to me but less then 600 sqft i cant even picture and i could live there with lil kids running around..jmo
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 1:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I live in a town house that is 780 sq ft. There are three of us and we fit very comfortably. If we were to have another baby, he/she would make things a bit more snug but it would be workable. Any more than that and it would be a tight fit. Oh, and we also have a garage to store unused baby items and such. I'd have to say that 567 sq. ft. may be too small (it would be for my family)
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Thank you for your advice ladies. We would want eventually to put on an adition. I dont know if we could affford it. I have another question:

Say we get aproved for 150,000.00 and our house only costs 125,000.00 do we still have an option to keep the extra 25,000.00 that would be left over?

No our apartment does not have a yard but there are so many nice parks less then 5 minutes away. We live in a very populated area.

Also yes i feel this is small but the woman had 3 kids that was living there before. Oh it also has a bacement that can be finished. However its the size of my bed room now. LOL

Oh sorry about being anon. I have a lot of friends and family on here dont want them to know this yet...
    Anonymous

• Oh yea and the unfinished bacement has about 200 sq. ft. This is not included in the 567. Not that this makes a diff. The basement has no windows.....Oh boy
    Anonymous

• We are a family of 5 with a little over 1200 square feet of "living" space. We also have a full attic that we could convert to a bedroom if needed, and a full basement that we use for storage and our laundry room. We have almost an acre of land, with a shed for all the outdoor toys and such. We are comfy...not too crowded, but not too much space, either.
    With that said, I think that it would be okay for now, but once you have that baby, I think it would be too small. Even with the small room in the basement, you'd have to consider if you'd want to use it for a bedroom. Without a window, I don't think I would.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 1:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• amy_k_in_pa... Your right I would not want to put a room in the basement. The upstairs has three bedrooms. Yea I cant imagine 3 rooms in 283 sq. ft. LOL. Wow crazy i know, oh plus the bathroom.

Downstairs is the livingroom and kitchen. Sooooo small. Total 283 sq. ft.

Anonymous

• I would pass on this house, you won't be happy in it. It is way too small, you are better off buying a bigger house in worse shape in foreclosure or shortsale. What is the big attraction to this specific home?
    Anonymous

• Family of four (two adults, two children). And, our house is about 1400 square feet. It is small, but we both love smaller spaces and we make it work. Storage is \ limited, but not really a challenge because we are super creative. 567 square feet, however is not enough space for a family of four...but there are always ways to make things work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2009