Probably a stupid question.

I'm just curious, I see all the posts about not vaccinating and just wondered how do you get your kids in school if they dont have their shots??

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can fill out a form saying that you are choosing not to vax.

Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• In CA you can sign a waiver that you choose not to vaccinate for religious, medical or philosophical reasons... and homeschooling is another option

vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• All state have waivers you can fill out if your kids don't have their shots.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Every state accepts waivers. Some only accept medical or religious, a few also except philisophical. They can not question what your religion is so anyone can claim religious excemption is their state doesn't accept philisophical.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don' t think it's a dumb question, I was wondering the same thing!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It depends on the state. All states have the medical exemption. This means that a medical doctor has to sign off saying that because of a special health consideration, it would be more dangerous for that baby/child to get vaccines than to not. Two states (WV and MS) have ONLY the medical exemption. It is not easy to get that, and most non-vaxers in those states homeschool, to my knowledge. In all other states there is a religious exemption (which is harder to get in some states than others, depending on the wording of the law.) The religious exemption is for parents who have a religious reason for not vaccinating their children; with this, children can still be in daycares and the public school system. Some states also have a philosophical exemption, which allows parents who have a philosophical objection to vaccination to allow their children to remain unvaxed but still participate in public school.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think it's bull that mothers go against the wishes of public schools. Obviously they prefer you only go to the school if you vax, or else there wouldn't be a waiver- but you obviously don't care about that or the other children at the school- or the fact that other children may have brand new babies at their houses who have not been vaxed yet and if your child gets his/her germs on that kid and he takes it home to the new baby then the new baby can be in drastic harm. But all you care about is your little timmy not having to live through getting poked by a needle.

Home school, and stop being selfish.
    Anonymous

• anonymous is stupid and ignorant and obviously doesn't understand why people don't vaccinate. i feel sorry for your child anonymous. :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I personally believe that public health is better served by having most people with fully functioning immune systems and full heath - vaccinations harm that IMO.
    Vaccines for diptheria are not why we have less typhoid. Vaccines are not the salvation of public health that sooooo many people would have you believe they are. Please do some research beyond the glossy vaccine pamphlets from the pharmaceutical reps and "measles killed my baby" testimonials before you act like you have a good grasp of how it all works.
    I respect other people's right to choose to inject their children with neurotoxins and monkey cells if they think it protects their precious babies. I get that, I really do. However, I do not understand buying into the whole herd immunity propaganda hook, line, and sinker and then using that theory to denigrate other parents who probably took longer to make their choice, did more research, and considered more options
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• wow whoever answered anon. It was a question. I didnt say i was for or against it, i just WONDERED!!!!!! i so hate drama.
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009