how long does alcohol stay in your breastmilk without pumping and dumping?

I was wondering if I could feed at 8 at night (her last feeding) and when she wakes up at 2:30 or 3 if it is ok to feed her without pumping and dumping. Thanks for an advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yea your body needs to have at least 2 hours for you system to clean out the alchol
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It takes about 24 hrs a least before your breastmilk is safe for consumtion.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 1:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You are safe to feed at 2 or 3 am if you've had one or 2 drinks. Pumping and dumping is not necessary. Pumping doesn't get alcohol out of your milk supply any faster. The ONLY reason to do this would be if you've consumed enough that you don't want to feed your baby for several hours but and this would make you feel engorged. Check out Kellymom.com for lots of info on nursing, including effects of drinks,etc. It's a great resource. You do NOT need to wait 24 hours!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Walgreen's (and maybe some other places) now sell a test for your breastmilk that tests the level of alcohol. When I turned 21 I skipped drinking altogether because I was nursing and didn't know there was an option. I might invest in the test if there is some special occasion I want to drink for once this baby comes.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It is NOT 24 hours, unless you have had like 10-12 drinks lol.

Go look up the info on www.kellymom.com. They have great resources. Pumping and dumping does not remove the alcohol at all. It stays in your milk, like it stays in your blood stream so depending on your weight, etc, it could be anywhere from 1-3 hours per drink.

The theory is "safe to drive, safe to nurse" because even with a tiny amount of alcohol in your system, a much smaller portion actually passes into your breast milk.

Have some milk expressed in case the baby wakes up before you feel comfortable to nurse, but otherwise you should be fine with 2-3 drinks after the baby goes to sleep.;
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Safe to drive, safe to nurse. You don't even need those test strips; they're just a way to separate moms from their money.

You can nurese WHILE having a glass of wine if you'd like. NOT a problem. Mom's body is an incredible filter. You'd have to be stone cold drunk to be unsafe.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009