Why is the Queen of Trash so sexy in "The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland"?

Have you seen this movie? First she comes out all slinking around in a tight costume, then there's that whole raspberry blowing demonstration. My husband even commented on that! I know it's Vanessa Williams but so what? Elmo is geared toward what, pre-schoolers? So why the sexiness of that character? Is it for the dads? It just seems inappropriate to me.

cpyrrha

Asked by cpyrrha at 1:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Entertainment

• I don't know why, but I've noticed too... I agree with you, especially the raspberry part I don't think it is necessary to have that in there at all, the plot wouldn't be hurt without it. Besides that part my kids LOVE that movie and the music in it and I think it's a great movie.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 1:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I hate it when tv/movies cast less-than-ideal actors for children's shows. Hiring someone like Vanessa Williams to be in "Elmo in Grouchland" was totally inappropriate.

I am familiar with this movie. We used to own it, and unfortunately my son saw the video several times before I had managed to see the "trash queen" scene (appropriate title for Ms. Williams, LOL.) When I did see the scene, it was anger and disappointment. TV/Movie producers manage to cram sexuality into everything they can get their filthy hands on..including children's programming.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 4:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think you guys just have dirty minds. We watch sesame street everyday and we (my husband and I) can easily see innuendos in everything. But it's just our imaginations. We still LOL everytime the episode where Elmo says, "Elmo loves balls" comes on.
    BTW, try reading Fox With Sox w/o thinking dirty thoughts. LOL
    Anonymous

• I watch Sesame Street with my children just about every day as well, and have not had a problem with anything that I've seen on there, anon. The part in the movie these ladies are talking about is different. I personally don't see innuendos in everything on Sesame Street, I don't look for them either. This part in the movie is pretty blatant and has nothing to do with these ladies "point of view" (pardon the pun ladies) or them having a dirty mind. Rent the movie, watch it, then tell us it's only our dirty minds or our imaginations.
    Anonymous

• Ok, I just went and watched in on Netflix(was lucky and it was instant watch). First I find it ironic that the song she sings is about what you see depending on your point of view...anyone else find that ironic? Secondly Vanessa can't help be sexy, it just comes naturally, I don't think she was being OVERLY sexual or illicit. I also found nothing wrong her raspberry...and really how could that ever be sexy? come on. So that all said, it all depends on your point of view...lol.

rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 9:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We have it on DVD... I see NO problem with her outfit! Everything is covered... The point is to keep the adults watching too. If she was in a tee-shirt and jeans I would turn it off... It wouldn't be apealing to adults... She has to be attractive, she's a queen And She's Vanessa Williams! I thought it was super awesome that she even did it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009