D.C., Illinois & Wisconsin

Follow up to an answer from the last one. Everywhere in the country, except those 3 places, it is legal for any law abiding citizen to get a concealed carry weapon permit, and millions of people in every state do. Unless you live one of those 3 places, odds are, every time you go to the mall, grocery store, or a restaurant, you've walked passed someone with a gun. If that many people in that many places are carrying at all hours, why, if guns are the problem, are there not shootouts weekly in every state? Why do we only see massive "crazed gunman" incidents in places where concealed carry is not allowed, like schools and private companies that ban them and gov't property? If guns are the problem, people should be shot at Kroger every week because they bumped someone with their cart. Why on earth do we need stricter laws when the millions of legal owners obviously already comply?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• lol, good question. My brother, mom and sister all have their CCWs and I want to get mine. None of us has ever shot anyone.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Why? Because state of Alaska is in the news only when they are talking about Governor. We have shootings.Our news just do not make the national news.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 2:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Excellent Point NP!!!!

I ran across a study done around 2000/2001 that showed a clear DROP in criminal statistics. I can't rember if it was a study done by Harvard or if it was a group of studies on the NRA website. I might be able to find it if there is interest in it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I (we) do not carry all the time, and we do not conceal. We only carry our guns when going to and from the banks when we have large amounts of deposits to be made. The whole gun issue is being blown a little bit out of proportion, and I don't feel Obama will be able to do much to change our rights. Even with all the mass shootings recently and his own personal beliefs, I don't see it changing.
    Even with gun control laws becoming stricter,it will only be stricter for law abiding citizens, criminals will get what they want when they want it. Locks only keep honest men out of homes.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We don't need stricter gun rules. Whether or not they are illegal, people who really want them will be able to get them- and the ones they get will probably be more dangerous than the ones that are regulated.

Interestingly enough, it is primarily liberals who are anti-gun ownership. Now, reread the above sentence, and replace the word "gun" with the word "abortion." I'm pretty sure they only want to regulate those of us who don't agree with them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• lovingangels primarily liberals who are anti-gun ownership....................I disagree with you.Stereotyping every liberal us against the gun is not right.

Anonymous

• hey anon I think loving used the word primarily not ALL
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Good point. I live in Wisconsin and don't see much shootings around here. I live between Chicago and Milwaukee. We have our share of crimes, but not many involving shootings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can add New York City to that list.
    which is why I live on the other side of the state. lmao.

Ohio I dont' think has carry permits either... mostly because it's legal to do almost anything with guns in Ohio. Really thinking of moving there soon.....

but good point. I know Guns aren't the cause of killings, it's the people behind the guns. Besides if people knew how easy it is to make home made guns...
    I find it funny that it's mostly city people that don't like guns. But those in the country seldom have problems like those in the city, because people know we have guns, and will protect out homes and family.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• All I know is I live in the rural sticks lol and pretty much everyone is a gun owner.Some don't carry them around and some do.We don't have people out just randomly shooting people.Alot use their guns for hunting,mainly deer,and others just have them solely for protection.Guns are not the issue some people are.Like up north where I grew up most of the crimes obviously commited by those who were already criminals and obtained their gun illegally.I do not believe for a second having government be big brother would stop criminals from getting guns and commiting crimes.All that would be achieved is making it hard as hell for law abiding citz to obtain them putting them at higher risk of being taken advantage of by a criminal who easily got theirs.
    It is proven to me at least around here that criminals are no where near as brave and bold when they KNOW most others around have their own fire arms.
    Anonymous