Warm Nights with babies?

I am due in July, and I am starting to shop for my son. Because he is going to be born during the summer, how thick or warm should his covers at night be? I am going to buy some more warmer ones but should i also get something that will not make him really hot at night? I have been fighting with this for like ever!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may like being swaddled, and if so you'll need a thin, stretchy blanket for swaddling (or a simple cotton SwaddleMe blanket (available at Babies R Us) and he can wear a short-sleeve onesie underneath. That's what my August baby wore in the early days.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• you don't use blankets on a baby, or at least I am not sure you should. They can smother.

You can get a thin swaddle blanket, or footed sleeper. We don't swaddle.. not really but you can get a very thin footed sleeper for the baby.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had my dd in July last year and I have to tell you that the nightgowns were my favorite in the beginning. Made life much easier for changing diapers constantly.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son was also born in July and really, a receiving blanket and a cotton footed sleeper were plenty. I was always told that a baby only needs one extra layer from what I was wearing and it was really much too hot for more than a onsie during the day. Some nights he was fine in just a sleeper or a gown with socks.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't think the time of year matters really, more the temperature inside your house. Example: When my daughter was born I was living with my mom still and she keeps the house at like 66 at night. Eventually I realized my daughter wouldn't sleep at night because she was cold and blankets didn't help. I ended up having to get a space heater for her room and then she slept =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would turn the AC on, stand where his crib will be (move it if it's already there) and see if the air hits directly in that space. If it hits directly there either move it or plan on slightly warmer nightwear. If you move the crib so the air isn't hitting it directly then probably just a light sleeper and/or onsie (depending on how cool you keep your house in the summer) will do with a light blanket wrapped around. Swaddled or not they can still be wrapped in a blanket. Just make the blanket looser if you lo doesn't like to be swaddled (mine sure didn't).
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter was born in July 2007..I had some heavier footed sleepers and some light ones..some summer nights get cool and with windows open and stuff it can get a bit chilly inside. At night she was swaddled..every night...she wouldnt sleep any other way.
    madisonsmom7197

Answer by madisonsmom7197 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i used gowns & socks on my dd (she was born july 20, 2006) she didn't like to be swaddled
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009