Weekly meal plans for my family

Afternoon Ladies

My hubby and I decided to start a health lifestyle change......we are both way overweight and one of my twins is a plus size little girl. I do not want us to go on a DIET, I want a lifestyle change in the way we are eating. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do a weekly meal plan? I told him I would work on it today and this weekend we will go to the grocery store and buy everything we need.

I woudl like to have some tips because we all like different things (like I am allergic to tomatoes and he loves them; I don't eat seafood and he loves it) I am trying to find some common ground. Or are there any websites to help me plan our meal.

Thanks Ladies

twinblessed

Asked by twinblessed at 2:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Health

• hello, I just signed up for Sparkpeople (think Cafemom for people dieting/exercising) it is free and they will provide you with tons of info to help you. There is a special section for kids and the site is geared for men and women, so your DH may really like it too! When I signed up and customized my food I was able to pick and choose things I like and don't like (tofu, seafood, veggies) it is neat!
    Hope you find something that works for you!
    (there are a few groups on here that I am in to help with motivation and support during my weight loss journey, pm me if you would like some more info)
    wendyb27

Answer by wendyb27 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can go to foodnetwork.com, they have alot of good easy recipes.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The south beach diet cook book has a ton of great recipes for the whole family to like. I use it often. Weight Watchers online also has recipies and meal ideas. Good Luck!
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would make sure to bring only "good" food in the house, which will be the biggest boost for each person. If its snack/junk food, soda, sugary desserts, etc, don't buy them. Make a list of meals each week, then every morning, map out your daily food plan. It might mean spending more money on fresh vegetables, but the costs of cookies, sodas, chips and fast foods will replace the veggie money.

We make meal plans for quality protein, 3 times a day. Then veg. and protein, and fruit for lunch and dinner. Remember that portion sizes can help how much you cook, and actually help in the cost of foods. When we started portioning our meals to a normal amount, we saved alot of money.

Don't be afraid to offer only water to drink, unsweet tea and coffee, bc juices and sweet drinks are bad for the teeth, and spike the insulin which causes diabetes.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Snacking between meals causes the insulin to raise and then the pancreas stores the extra around the middle of the body, in order to protect itself.

We grill everything we can, lean beef 3 times a week, fish 2 times and skinless chicken 2 times. This way we get iron (from the beef) and perfect protein from them all.

Make 2 servings of veg. with dinner & lunch. Make enough to carry from lunch to dinner, or for 2 dinners. I like to cook more meat one meal, so that it will carry over to the next day and then me and the hubs will have seafood or fish that day. Kids don't always like shrimp or grilled salmon.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• There are lots of good options out there. You can use software to organize your own recipes and plan accordingly - even allows you to calculate nutrient contents of specific foods. Another (easier) option is one of the on-line meal planners like wovenfare.com or the 20 minute supper club. Wovenfare can be customized to your likes/disclikes or any dietary requirements. Check out the page on my website that speaks to this directly - http://www.timedoctor.ca/tips/mealplanning.php
    TimeDoctor

Answer by TimeDoctor at 10:36 PM on May. 11, 2009