My friend and I had an interesting discussion....

I don't know if you believe this but do you think people in America tend to think that everything is a priority? I'm talking about good careers, nice cars, nice houses, having more than what you need? I agree. I think we tend to make life more complicated than it needs to be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• To me what is priority is my son and his health and happiness. Family has always been priority since I was a child, everything else is just extra.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I do agree wholeheartedly! This is something I think I need to work on in particular. I just told my mom yesterday that I think I sometimes focus too much on "my life when I get my work going stronger and make more money", as if my life in the meantime isn't worht appreciating. I think I need to live more in the moment and A LOT of people probably do too.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ya hugh....its weird cause i dont think this ressesion is really making people very humble..they dont seem to be changing there ways...i dont get it???
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I wonder if it is worse now that so many are losing their jobs or losing their savings or in danger of losing jobs. I wonder if people are more anxious about "things" now than they used to be, stockpiling, maybe.

Answer by Bmat at 2:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I believe its not having what youwant that counts but wanting what you have. I have a simple life and am grateful. Unfortunately my husband and son are want want want...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• the american dream is everyones priority, and all these people chasing it live above their means and are part of what caused the credit collapse...
    Anonymous

• i agree my SO and we pay our rent cable and electric my car is 16 yrs old and it is still in good shape so i drive it ppl make fun of me but im glad to have a job a place to live and people that love me bc thats what is most important in my life my DD and providing for and loving her everything else is just extra. That might not make me the cool mom on the block but some day she will appriciate it ive seen to many people go under bc they "needed" something they really didnt need
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 2:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Deciding to have more than three kids, you really start to notice the attitudes people have. Basically, we've decided that having another child is more important than a big tv, or the special cable package, or a sweet new ride. However, it seems the idea is that if you can't afford a child AND a new SUV/TV/sofa/clothes/manicures, you should not be having "extra" children. That's "irresponsible." We are fed, we are sheltered, we are entertained, and we are really really happy. We're not having more children than we can FEED on our own. Sure, it would be great to have the resources to always indulge my children's every interest - you want a pony? Sure, here you go! We don't have luxury items, which is fine by us, that's our life and we chose it. Other people seem to find it offensive, though, I guess. It just really drives home the idea: "You haven't made it in life until you've achieved XYZ and own XYZ."
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Sure. I think we have been raised to believe that the American dream is having things as oppsoed to having freedom. I have a lot of luxuries and I don't need them. I know I don't. I just have them because I can I guess. I would be happy to live simply and quietly without unnecessary luxury, but I enjoy what I have so I figure I am doing just fine. I never had any of these luxuries growing up. I was dirt poor, but I didn't know that until I was an adult, with a happy home and able to afford the things I WANTED as opposed to just the things I NEEDED. I don't take much for granted though, I know where I came from and know that I can go back to that at any time, so I figure I am just going to enjoy it while I have it.
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think that is maybe one good thing about a poor economy. People turn back to their families and realize what is really important in life. We tighten our belts, plant gardens, and spend time with family. I think it is a nice dose of reality...maybe something we need from time to time to so we realize what is really important in life.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009