How can I get my 3 year old to stop kicking her daddy in the balls?

Yes, she does it on purpose. The first few times were just incidental of him picking her up while she was throwing a fit. Now she knows how to drop him & does it when she gets mad enough. We don't believe in hitting but getting put in her room just doesn't seem harsh enough. I mean, the last time she did it he actually went into the other room & sobbed. She hasn't done it in a couple of weeks.

cpyrrha

Asked by cpyrrha at 2:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You let her know its not nice and that it hurts daddy and if spanking or time out doesn't work take away a toy or a tv show. Make her apologize for doing it and give her a consequence she won't like and that will work.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would spank her
    Anonymous

• Putting her in her room isn't going to work, that is where toys are and things to play with. If you want to put her in time out, you have to put her in a corner or in a place where there is nothing to play with.
    Anonymous

• I am sorry but thats just down right funny..
    My son does this once in a while YES this is mean but hey it works..
    Ya know the whole thing about when they bite bite them back just enough for them to feel that it hurts.. well just like that on her leg push/press into her hard enough to make her unhappy. then tell her this is what dadyy feels like but it hurts him more. SHOW her that daddy is crying and make her feel bad for doing so. YES it's mean dont bash me but it works.. my son hits my belly (im pregnant) so I tap him back he doesnt like it and relizes its hurts and he stopped. you need to show her that things hurt.. how should she know if she's never had it happen to her..?
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'd pick a different time-out spot first off. Her room is filled with toys and books - how harsh is it to be sent off to play with all your toys when you've done something wrong? And if you stand in the doorway of her room to make sure she doesn't play with anything, you are just rewarding her with your attention. I'd pick a boring corner in a main room of the house. No toys, no tv, no anything nearby.

After she sits in time out, she needs to apologize to Daddy. Tell him she is sorry for kicking him and hurting him. And I agree that seeing Daddy cry can be a big motivator for not doing it again. She is old enough to understand that other people feel things too and she is old enough to have some empathy for others.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm guessing here that she only kicks him when he's holding her? Then guess what...daddy won't pick her up any more until she can learn to respect his body and NOT kick him. Maybe it even means no hugs from daddy, either. If she wants him to hold her and hug her, she needs to learn to not kick him. After time out, talk to her about her choices, why she wants to hurt daddy, what she should do next time. In the meantime, she doesn't get to hug or be held by daddy until she can learn to not kick him period.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I dont know what to say, I just busted out laughing when I read your title. I'm sorry.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hitting and spanking are NOT the same. Your child needs to be appropriate disciplined. Time-outs never work.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I dont believe in spanking she is old enough where you can talk to her let her know it hurts daddy or have daddy explain that it really hurts and just like noone can touch her private parts she should never hit anyone in their private parts. I would put her in timeout in a chair no toys no tv no attention and make her apologize to daddy. she is a little to young to empathsize they dont understand it yet let daddy talk to her about it if she is doing it when she is throwing a tantrum she will not be listening wait until she is calm my dd is 3 and she has accidently hit daddy there and she saw it hurt him and daddy after he caught his breath did talk to her. She just started hitting when she is mad but put words to her feelings like saying I know you must be mad but we dont hit. I do that with my dd and her tantrums are less I tell her use your words are you mad, sad, upset, happy,etc.
    unicorn54166

Answer by unicorn54166 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm sorry, I don't like spanking but she is purposely kicking her dad in the balls and it hurts so much that he cries......and her punishment is to go to time out in her room full of toys. She needs a spanking, not by dad, by mom. Then after spanking her, you should sit her in the corner, when her time out is over, she needs to apologize to dad. That behaviour is so far from ok and I can't even believe that people actually wrote that it is funny! It's not funny! Next she'll be kicking the little boys at preschool in the crotch, how funny will it be when its your kid that gets kicked. Not so funny anymore is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009