Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support...

Do you think the state does enough to enforce it? Or do you think it's too easy for men to get away with not paying?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (18)
  • my ex pays when he feels like it and even tried to give up his parental rights and they only give him a hard time once every 6-8 months i wish they would do it more like once a month but i remeber im not the only mother who has a dead beat dad for an ex

    Answer by emtmommyamanda at 2:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I have found with my state, they don't let them get away with it if you are going through the state to collect it! I got a call from my caseworker in October asking if I knew where my ex was working because they had not gotten any money from his employer since August. I told her and within a week I had a letter stating they had verified his employment! She also stated that if they were not able to verify that they would put in the paperwork to suspend his driver's liscense and they would also intercept any tax refunds he was getting! That's been my experience in GA, but I'm sure it varies from state to state.

    Answer by mommystiebler at 2:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • that's true alot of women are waiting for child support. I wonder why employers don't run everyones s.s # when hired to keep current on where they're working.

    Answer by mizsaxton at 2:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I think that states makes it to easy for women to get away with not paying any.
    The child support division in anystate should be able to garnish the non paying parties wages. And if they work under the table, thats grounds in itself for arrest.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 2:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Yeah, right enough to enforce it? I am not sure they enforce it at all! I am expecting my first child and i am married, but I hate seeing this situation. My own father never paid his measly $20 a week per kid (there were 2 of us). He was over $40,000 in arrears when I made my Mom go to ACES and take him to court. The State took over and found him mentally and physically disabled, which is was/is not. This was 15 years ago. The state paid my Mom and us some $$$, then that was it. I am almost 32 now, and just a few years back my mom started getting shild support $$$!!! Apparently he is no longer disabled and has a job. Imagine that. I used to work in a bank and some of the support checks were as little as .05 cents, that is a joke, hardly worth cashing. As long as you get a cent in a check, they consider that paying support! You might be able to ride the pony at Meijer with that!

    Answer by stephgood1 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • My daughter's biological father has paid $11 total in my daughter's lifetime. I say "total" because it took 3 or 4 checks to get that much! My smallest check was $1.85. He is only ordered $86 a month too. They do absolutely nothing to enforce it because he lives out of state and my friend of the court office's motto is "You cannot count on child support". That is pretty much like saying "we're not going to enforce his order." Oh well, I'll find some way to make it without that $86!

    Answer by kabbot01 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Sorry steph...they did away with the penny horse at my Meijer! Do they still have penny candy?

    Answer by kabbot01 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I don't think Idaho does enough over 40,000 behind and he's still driving with a license. He was even allowed to move out of state and has gone without filing taxes for atleast 5 years.... it amazes me what people can get away with.

    Answer by mizsaxton at 2:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • my ex is $10,000 in the whole with child support... man I wish he would pay! No they don't enforce good enough!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I searched him out on myspace a few months back he was in a pic with a brand new work truck (looking very proud)... it took alot of zooming in but I got the company name and number and turned it over to child support.. they thought I was a crazy lady I felt like a bounty hunter! lol well i got one check annnnd then he quit that job.

    Answer by mizsaxton at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.