• In the Spotlight:

HOW CAN I EXPLAIN TO MY 5 YEAROLD THAT HER BROTHER IS NOT THE SAME AS HER HE HAS AUTISM ?

EVERYTHING HE DOES SHE WANTS TO DO AND SHE GETS IN TROUBLE BUT I TRY TO TELL HER THAT HE DONT UNDERSTAND YOU KNOW BETTER

brianna77

Asked by brianna77 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have an autistic neighbor that my kids play with alot, I know the situation is a bit different but we tell our boys that his brain works differently and he can't remember the rules the same way they do. We dont tell them what is wrong, or that anythig is wrong per se, but that he learns and remembers differently than alot of kids. Not sure if that helps but thats what we tell our kids.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• A 5yr old?? I have a 6 yr old and he has known right from wrong for a long time. Ground her, time out
    Anonymous

• There are lots of books for kids on subjects like this. I'd try your local library or book store. Here are some I found:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=brother+has+autism
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Anon...it's one thing for them to KNOW right from wrong. It's another for a 5 year old to understand why her BROTHER doesn't understand it.

We don't have an official diagnosis yet, but it's a safe bet it's coming. I've just been telling my older son that his younger brother just has to have his routines, and to just let his brother turn on the light, turn off the TV...that even though my older son wants to do it, his brother NEEDS to do it.

I've told him that his brother doesn't understand things the way he does. He has to go into time out more often because it takes more for him to understand (in response to the question "Why does Liam keep doing the wrong things?")

I do discipline my younger son. Maybe not to the full extent of the other two, and maybe that's wrong. But he is understanding more and more right from wrong (he's 3) but it's taking him a LOT longer. (my 2 year old gets it quicker)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009