5 lb sack of potatoes as a weapon...follow up to a recent question. Have you had a similar incident?

I was accosted last winter in the grocery store parking lot. He had me trapped between my trunk and the cart. He came from behind, grabbed my arm and was pulling me. I coudn't get to my pepper spray on my key chain. I could get to a 5 lb bag of potatoes. I beat the snot out of him with it. Another guy actually had to pull me off of him.

I don't know what this guy had in mind. I didn't see a weapon and he didn't say anything to me except "Christ lady stop, please stop" while I was beating the snot out of him.

Follow up: The guy was arrested. He spent some time in the hospital. I broke his nose and his jaw. He also had some severe bruising to his torso and genital area. Apparently, I kicked him once he was down.

Security tapes/witness cleared me right away. My kids weren't with me.

The guy, a transient was released on his own recog and vanished before his trial date.

I learned I have the " power."

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 2:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Great! You defended yourself WHILE preparing mashed potatoes!
    Talk about multi tasking. (applaud)
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 3:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• that's so funny that you beat him with potatoes, but way to go!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hey, I was petrified and they were the only thing handy. Thank goodness it was a 10 or 15 pound bag!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Good for you! Anything and everything can be used as a weapon when needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well it's been years but as a teen a friend and I were pulled into a secluded elevator by a guy who tried to force himself onto us.Luckily,He wasn't ready to block my knee which slammed him in the groin.
    Years before that at about 9 or 10 yrs old another friend and I were walking back home from the very local 7-11.This car stops and a guy gets out and tries to grab my friend into his car I picked up a bunch of rocks and started throwing them at his head.He let go of her and she proceeded to throw rocks at him to until he got back in his car and sped off.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Nothing other than attempted date rape situations which were never reported. I am a very tall woman, I think that seems like too much of something to overcome for some attackers.
    I just had this conversation with my 3 daughters this weekend, about never letting a would be kidnapper get them in the car, screaming fire instead of help, kicking biting whatever to get themselves free. The date rape issue still has to be discussed with my oldest daughter, I just haven't had time to be alone with her yet.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Good for you, yourspecialkid! It's a good idea to always rely on instinct and use anything on hand to try and equalize the situation or tip the scales in your balance! Potatoes! HAHAHA!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• way to goYou go you ninja woman!!!! WHOOT

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

Talk about multi tasking. (applaud)

Alton would be so proud!

Mine was a very, very drunk friend who I drove home and he had some sort of blackout going on. Got it in his head I was his ex-wife and tried to break my neck (I've met her, I don't blame him for the sentiment). I fought him off, at one point bit his finger down to the bone. He received "in patient substance counseling." Didn't do any good, though. Last I heard he's still drinking himself to death.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Ha ha! I guess carbs really are bad for you. Especially when you get beat upside the head with them!
    Mich80

Answer by Mich80 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009