Is 12 too young to stay home alone with a 2 year old?

My husbands little brother lives with us and he is 12. He is a great uncle to my almost 2 year old son. I was debating on when it would be ok for him to stay home alone with him. We have left him with our son no more then 20 mins while our son was sleeping. I want to know if you think he is too young to stay home alone with him when our son is sleeping for a couple hours? Let me know what you think.

viscusil

Asked by viscusil at 3:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont think it is i was 12 when i started babysetting
    Anonymous

• When it comes to babysitters, i'm sooo picky! But I have to say that it really depends on the maturity of the 12 year old. My not so little cousin just turned 13, and he has watched my two children a few times. We also have a 13 year old neighbor, I would never think twice about letting him be at home with my kids.
    susan_marie

Answer by susan_marie at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• nope, i started babysitting around that age. i have a gf that has a son that age and i leave my kids with him sometimes. i don't see the problem as long as you know you can trust him with your son and he's mature about it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i wouldn't let a 12 y/o stay with my 2 y/o... they're not patient enough
    Anonymous

• i started to babysit at that age. as long as he knows your son well then he will know what your son needs and he does live with you so he knows him well im sure. we had a rule when i was a kid though, i couldnt babysit outside of the neighborhood that way i could always know my parents were right there if i couldnt handle something (emergency type situation) and no by myself after dark. so as long as you have a neighbor you trust that he can run to if he cant handle a medical type thing then i dont see why not
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• most kids start babysitting around that age. just make sure he knows how to stay patient and knows how to handle it if the baby starts crying. Also let him have the number to a close neighbor or adult relative that lives nearby so that in case things get too out of hand for him he can call someone who can be there asap
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was babysitting at the age of 9 as were many other kids. But times and laws change as the government seeks to "protect" us... Check your local laws. Most places a child must be 13 to be left home alone.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Personally I
    would
    not
    leave my
    2 year old with a 12 year old..
    I started babysitting at 12 1/2......and I still would not feel safe leaving my 2 year old with a 12
    year old.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Depends first check with your laws in your state just to find out the legal age for a child to stay alone with a younger child just to be safe.

Now back to your question there are some chldren that are alot mature than other children so if you feel in your heart that he is responsible enough then go for it, but if you have doubts don't do it.

Try going out for one hour and if things are good add some more time and so on and of course leave him the info where you will be located and vice versa.
    Does he have a cell phone yet? Seems like all teenager do already at such a young age. If not get one for him one of those really not so expensive ones for starters. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Really depends on you here. I'd be more comfortable with someone who's been around my child and I've seen them interact. You know how the kids play together and how the younger one listens. If they do fine together with you there, they should be fine while you are gone, too.
    Anonymous