What do you think is the best birthing method? State what kind and why.

I'm only 15 weeks but i wanted to be prepared and choose ahead of time how i'm going to go thru labor. The thing is i don't know much and i was thinking of being induced but i'm pretty afraid of needles, also i keep hearing that a more natural birth without and anestisia is better for your baby... Help!!!

happy2bamommi

Asked by happy2bamommi at 3:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honey, you can't really plan how things are going to go during your labor. You just have to breath and take your contractions one at a time. The best way for you to have your baby i the way that feels right to you.
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't get induced unless it's absolutely neccessary. You don't plan for it. I had a hospital birth with a doctor and no epidural. I would opt for a midwife now, and birthing center of available. Epidurals and drugs have risks and I didn't want that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yes well i was interested in the hypnobirth but i saw the cost and it was ridiculous!
    happy2bamommi

Answer by happy2bamommi at 3:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hypnobabies offers complete, used programs at a reduced cost to mamas who are interested but can't afford the full price. If you contact them, they will work with you! Hypnobabies is wonderful, and well worth pulling together the money for... your birth experience will be with you forever.

At this stage, I suggest reading!! Start with Henci Goer's The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. She breaks down the medical research about birth in a way that is easily understood. She discusses the pros and cons of different interventions in birth to help you make truly informed decisions. It's a must have for any expectant mama!

FWIW, induction should be avoided if at all possible; for one thing (there are others) the abnormal intensity of those ctx makes it more likely that the baby will be distressed during labor. And "My baby was induced and was just fine" is not a good reason to think there are no risks to consider.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Start reading ALOT! There are ups and downs to every medical intervention available. You have to know the risks and benifits, and decide which one is better for you. Like being induced, There are medical reasons to be induced that are better for the baby, but I wouldnt recomend it for just convenience, the contractions are alot harder, and it confines you to a bed, and can take alot longer. An epidural can help with pain, but it can also lower your blood pressure to where it is dangerous for baby and can cause you to have to have a c-section. I recomend The Birth Book, by Dr, and Marths Sears. He s an OB and she is a midwife, it is not biased at all, and has alot of info without being pushy, and how interventions can make things worse but how if you use them right they can help alot too. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Oh, and what I think is the best birthing method is home waterbirth. I also had mine unassisted, but I don't think that others can or will make that same choice. But a home waterbirth is very doable for almost every mom and is AMAZING. So peaceful and serene, just welcoming a baby into the world in simplicity and tranquility. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. Not on purpose!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The best thing to do is educate yourself about the birthing process. Research the risks associated with common medical interventions used to bring on or speed up labor. All interventions have risks. Then you can go from there. My first birthing experience was horrible because I trusted my doctors and did not do any of my own research. For my second child I decided on a natural birth using hypnobirthing. I ordered the book from amazon, I read it over and over again and work on my visualizations. I wasn't sure it would work, and I felt even if it didn't it still helped me to understand the birthing process. At 7 cm I started having bad contractions. I laid down in bed and after about 3 contractions I had them under control. I would moan through them and fell asleep at one point. It worked for 12 hours, until I ended up with c-section. I would highly recommend a Doula for labor support.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 3:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had zero needles in my last two pregnancies and births. ZERO. I wouldn't base a decision to homebirth on being afraid of needles, but it certainly is a plus.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ok honey well i should tell you know that being pregnant you are going to be poked by needles MANY MANY times. I also hated needles.... used to have to be held down when i was younger to get shots! but after I got pregnant with my first son I had to suck it up and deal with it lol.
    my second son wasnt as bad but unless you are planning on doing a home birth you will have to get at the very least an iv....

I was induced with my second son but only cause they stopped my labor too many times and then by the time my due date came I didnt go into labor. I was 3 WEEKS LATE!

but my suggestion is to first talk to your doctor. ask him bout the different options. Im sorry if this wasnt helpful :-(
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't recommend being induced. Personally, it was not a pleasant experience. It's not really something you can completely plan, but if I were you, I'd aim for having a vaginal birth. I see nothing wrong with having an epidural if you're worried about pain either.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 5:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009