Mary and Joseph

Mary and Joseph were married, right? So, the virgin birth and all, did Mary and Joseph not have sex ever? And do we consider Joseph Jesus's stepfather, how does he fit in? This part of the story confuses me, anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I assume that at some point in time Mary and Joseph had sex - the Bible speaks of Jesus' brothers and sisters, so I think that's a safe assumption . . .

Joseph was Jesus' "earthy father", so in retrospect, I guess he was kind of a step father to Jesus, since genetically they weren't related. But Joseph took on the role of "daddy" to Jesus.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• they weren't married when mary got pregnant. that is why God had to send the angel to Joseph, to tell him that it was him that made her pregnant, cuz Joseph was upset that she had "slept with another man and concieved". at least that's what he thought, because technically you can't get pregnant without having sex. Joseph was Jesus' dad in the physical world, he's the one that raised him like he was his own son.
    Anonymous

• They were not married when Mary, still a virgin, became pregnant with Jesus. They were betrothed, or engaged in modern day terms (being betrothed has a stonger meaning than our engagements of today, they had to sign a contract or something like that, in front of witnesses). It says in the Bible that although Joseph married Mary while she was with child, they did not have sex until after the birth of Jesus. Joseph is considered Jesus' earthly father who raised Him and taught Him the family business.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Boy Joseph gets no credit whatsoever, does he?
    Anonymous

• I think anyone who doesn't think they ever had sex after that is on the naive side. I'm sure Jesus had brothers and sisters. And I suppose technically Joseph is the step father. But I don't think they were married at the time. I would have to re-read the story again. I think they were betrothed, but not yet married. But question answered. I'm sure they did have sex and I'm sure Joseph was technically a step- father.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The Jewish Temple in Jerusalem had Temple priests (men) and Temple virgins (women) attached to it. It was a common practice for men and women to wait to get married until after the birth of their first child, to ensure fertility. Therefore, "virgin births" were a pretty common occurance between the preists and the virgins.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was raised that Joseph was his earthly father basically, so you could say stepdad. He did follow in Josephs footsteps afterall learning the carpentry business and such.

I believe Mary and Joseph had children of their own after Jesus was born so of course they had sex. Just probably not before Jesus was born.

Thats what I was raised to believe anyway.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• they had sex after Jesus's birth. Jesus had brothers and sisters.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't believe they had had sex, because they weren't married. Yes, Joseph was a "father" figure to Jesus.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 4:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Mary and Joseph were betrothed. They did have sex after Jesus was born, obviously, because the bible says He had brothers and sisters. Joseph was his step father.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009