• In the Spotlight:

Pregnancy and insurance

We are trying to have a baby. My DH is also trying to find another job. If I get pregnant now, before he switches jobs, will I be covered under the new insurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• u should be
    Anonymous

• depends on the insurance i know some that you have to have that insurance for X amount of months before they will cover it

Anonymous

• Yep, depends on the insurance. The insurance I used to have wouldn't cover it because it was a "pre-existing condition".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• As long as there isn't a lapse in coverage from one insurance carrier to the other, you should be fine.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It depends on the insurance. Most insurance companies will not cover a pre-existing pregnancy though. I would wait until his new insurance kicks in.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If you are pregnant before he gets the insurance you most likely won't be covered.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Depends on the insurance. Some of them consider it a pre-existing condition and won't cover it. Some will only cover it if you've had insurance up until the date you switch to theirs, and some will cover it regardless. The safest bet is to not get pregnant until he has secured a job w/ insurance and you've met all of the timeframes for them.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If you are pregnant FIRST, then you will be covered but pregnancy related costs will most likely not be... Just one more reason I will never again have health insurance! I have something better!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Thanks for the answers. I also did some research on the internet and it said that it depends on the new insurance. Howevever, I will be covered by COBRA laws which mean that we can keep my DH old insurance. We have to pay what they are paying but it would allow us to be covered for up to 18 months. So if we have to at least we could do that. Thanks for the help.
    Anonymous