is a colonoscopy dangerous????

I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy at the end of the month and might cancel... am only 26 so not sure if i really need one they are running other tests first to rule things out if something comes up i dont have to have it.
are they dangerous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Health

• Any procedure has dangers. They should warn you of any dangers before you have the procedure. You are awake when it is being done, but you are lightly sedated, so it is not embarrassing or even uncomfortable. You aren't put asleep, because it isn't needed, but also so if there is discomfort you can tell them so they adjust or stop before any harm is done. I have never heard of colonoscopy being catagorized as a dangerous procedure. The cleaning out process the day before is the real discomfort, the actual colonoscopy is nothing and not something to be feared. Get it done if it is recommended for you, and express your fears to the people doing it, they will let you know the straight story.

Answer by Bmat at 3:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Not really, my mom has had 2. Doctors don't schedule colonoscopys for no reason. Do the test, you need to find out what is or isn't wrong with you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• all procedures have some sort of risk- but aside from that- they are not anything special in the dangerous area.

It's a pretty common procedure and if there is a problem and your doctor needs to see what's going on there, you should probably have it done.

just make sure you have a driver to drive you home.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had 1 and then had 2 procedures for hemmerroids- same type of thing.
    the light sedation always almost put me to sleep. I don't remember anything after being in the room and the meds kicked in. They even usedless sedation each time, but didn't want to go with NONE- I'm just the type that is very suspectible to meds like that.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had one when I turned 30...there is a family history of colon cancer.
    I don't remember them telling me of any real risks concerning the exam.
    What is going on with you that they think you need one? It is not normally a procedure that the schedule people your age for. I think that if they are saying you need one then you NEED one.
    I would go through with it. The test wasn't a big deal at all. I was nursing my six week old at the time so I couldn't nurse him for three days because of the prep for the procedure...but I just pumped to keep up my supply.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had one at 20 and at 25 and now at 32 I am going again on Thursday. Honestly- the prep two days before is the WORST part! You go into a sort of twilight sleep and you feel like they haven't done anything when they are waking you up to tell you that you are done.
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 10:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• There is always some risk, your doctor should go over this with you before scheduling the procedure. In general it is pretty safe. I've had 2 (I just had one a few weeks ago). Like the PP said, the prep is the hardest part! The procedure itself is easy. They give you some drugs, you get all dopey and usually sleep through the whole thing.
    when I had one 7 years ago I was nursing my 4 month old. I did not have to stop nursing him for the prep, I just couldn't nurse him while I was away for a few hours for the procedure.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009