new to the navy

My Husband just joined the navy. They made him an Officer. I am trying to learn everything i need to know. Could you please explain Hail & Farewells,Officer coffee;s and what is FRG? Is there anything else you wish someone told you or explained to you? I no nothing of Navy life or of being a wife of an officer. Please fill me in. Thank you for the help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• FRG Famil Readiness Support Group- it is usually made up of wives or husbands in your husbands command. For when/if he deploys its a group of people going through the same thing that you can go to for support help with something.
    Hail & Farewell- is when someone is retiring or leaving a command its a way to honor the person and say good bye. Some are formal some aren't really depends on the person and command.
    Officers coffee, no clue my husband is enlisted, sorry! Anything else feel free to write me and if I can help I will.
    My husband has been in for 9 years, we have been married for 7, on deployment number 5 and my dad was in for 25 years. So I have some experience with the Navy.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The only thing I can say is don't wear your huband's stripes. He is the ranking officer not you. Continual conversation regarding what your husband is and what his rank is, gets old really fast. Find a life outside of the miitary wives if you can, and have some balance in your life.
    I spent years in it, and once we got away from the cattiness of Officer's wives wearing their husband's stripes, there was no drama.
    One wife went so far as to buy extra patches to match her husband's rank, and she superglued them on her pumps.
    Anonymous

• Never would I wear a rank I did not earn for myself....... I hate drama and cattiness.... I am moving away from my friends and family and everything I have ever known. I would like to make friends when we move. I read on these message boards that there is cattiness among the wives. I hope that people do not assume i am a snob just because of what my husband does. :-/ I have plenty of my own interests and activities but would still like to be active with other Navy wives. Really want to know about things like on base housing,Flights and Travel,Schools and Childcare and basically anything I need to know about the Navy.......
    Anonymous