Any good tips for flying with a one-year-old?

I will be traveling with my mother and my one-year-old son in a couple of weeks. The flight is 3 hours and he will be on our laps. He's a pretty active, loud kid. Any ideas on how to reduce the insanity?

quirkymama

Asked by quirkymama at 3:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Travel

• give him water to drink, not juice; too much sugar, trust me, and if yours is anything like mine he'll pee a river if he gets to much juice. Try to get on last and change his diaper right before you get on the plane as those bathrooms are next to impossible to change a diaper in.

If you have a portable DVD player with headphones I'd bring that, lost of quiet toys/ coloring books, things like that. Um, I know there is more but I'm drawing a blank. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If he still takes a bottle, have him sucking on that (or maybe a pacificier) when you take off for his ears.

Keep it simple on what you're taking--just 2 or 3 toys. Do you read to your child? Books are easy to carry.

Maybe he's too young for this, but I found a harness INDISPENSABLE in the airport with my toddler. It gave her the freedom to walk, kept my hands free, and gave great peace of mind that she couldn't wander off or be taken.
    PurpleAndTeal

Answer by PurpleAndTeal at 4:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• baby benydryl
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• no sugar drink, get him some toys for the airline, get him to watch cartoon
    savingjmom

Answer by savingjmom at 9:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2009