i don't want to breastfeed anymore... help!!

i have an 8 month old, and he's breastfed, he won't take a spoon, i've been trying for 2 months now, and he won't take a bottle.. so pretty much, he's only had the breast.. and his teeth are coming through, the bottom ones have broken through now, and he's bitten me 6 times. it hurts! anyway, i don't like the feeling of it now that he has teeth, i've enjoyed breastfeeding tons until now, and now i'm really starting to not like it. help me please? i don't know what to do, i want to try and get him on a binky now, i don't want to give him formula, and i really need him to take a spoon... help me?!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is time to get tough with your baby. Stop nursing and keep giving him a bottle. He may refuse it for a day or two, but he won't let himself starve. He will get hungry enough that he will take the bottle. He will probably begin to eat baby food too once you wean him off the breast. If you don't want to nurse any longer you will need to either pump or give him formula. He is too young to take cows milk and he needs the nutrients in breast milk or formula.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I know the biting hurts..just pump and keep trying to give him a bottle...I use Born Free and my DD takes them fine, and still nurses at nite. she's a biter tho...Or you can also try the nipple shields. I jsut got some and am going to try and see if her teeth go thru, but other than that you could try the breastmilk in a sippy cup or maybe have someone else give it to him since he associates mommy with booby. Good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well, even if you wean him, he will still have to take formula, because he's too young to go to milk. I don't know if cutting him off from his only food source will solve the problem. You're going to need to work on getting him to take a bottle first. Or, try a sippy cup, either the traditional kind or the kind with a straw. My daughter never took a bottle, but she took to the straw sippy cup immediately.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't recommend weaning.
    Have you tried offering solids on your finger instead of a spoon?
    Anonymous

• He'll need breast milk or formula until he's at least a year old. There are a lot of organic formulas on the market. You only have 4 months to worry about formula, then you can switch to cow's milk or soy or whatever.

Breastfeeding is good only if the mom and the baby are willing. If you're not up for it anymore, it's ok to wean. He got 8 months of breast milk...lots of wonderful benefits.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yeah, i've tried giving it on my finger, but its kind of hard i think... and he doesn't really get much that way.. i dont know if i can try the gerber puffs or those yogurt melt things maybe??
    Anonymous

• If you don't want to give him formula, you have to keep breastfeeding or pumping. You can try getting him to drink out of a straw. If he's having a hard time with solids I'd worry about how well he's take to finger foods. They are not recommended for babies unfamiliar with solids. If he takes food off your finger go with it. It may take longer but it's one way to get him familiar with solids.

Try reading this article on biting, good luck.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• my DD is ten months old and breastfed.... she has bitten me and i know it HURTS. she also eats baby food at breakfast and dinner with a spoon and has snacks like gerber puffs or wagon wheels or yogurt melts throughout the day. she also gets a sippy cup.... but she likes playing with it more than drinking from it, however she does and will drink from it.

i got her to get interested in the spoon by letting her play with it. i gave her a clean spoon to play with as a toy (since all her toys go in the mouth anyway) and it helped her become familiar with the concept behind it. also the snacks like the puffs helped her learn how to feed her self (which she seems to enjoy her independence). my sister taught me the trick of putting the sippy cup out with her toys so she would play with it and become used to it.

my DD would not take a bottle from me even though it was pumped breastmilk either. try having someone else feed..
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If you wean before one year, you MUST give formula. No options on that.

You can teach him not to bite. There's a sticky on the Breastfeeding Moms Group's Resources Forum regarding this, titled "When Babies Attack!"

Take a look. I think it will help you. You DON'T have to allow the biting! Too many moms think they're supposed to let baby get away with everything. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• (continued) your baby the bottle. it is confusing for them to smell your milk, but not be receiving it via your breast. if someone is holding baby while they are fed from the bottle, it may be easier for baby to adapt.

good luck! :)
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009