Do you think its safe to give an infant water out the faucet before the age of 1yr?

I have a friend who has an 8 month old and told me since her daughter is eating solids she gives the baby formula without boiling the water. I told her that I didn't think that was right and that she should wait until the child is at least 1. What do you think or did with your infant?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 4:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• i gave bottles with warm tap water since around 2 months and hes perfectly fine.
    Anonymous

• I used tap water to mix my son's formula when he was a baby...I hadn't heard anything to make me think differently until my neice told me she used bottled water to make her son's formula - she told me the same thing.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 4:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Doesn't boiling the water purifies it?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I did. my kids are fine.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I know that my SIL started using the Baby water at walmart in the jugs and the DR told her not to do that she told her to boil it. The last person that I know that had a baby said that the DR told her right after she had the baby not to boil water because it could burn the baby (I have my own opinion on that one..uhum stupid parents).
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I used tap water from the start....my kids are very happy and healthy boys.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 4:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I used bottled water for awhile ok a long while. my dr told me not to boil tap water something to do with the minerals? I don't know if you have your water tested shouldn't tap water be fine after the 1st few months?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 4:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Jenniferlee now come on, I didn't mean give the baby boiling water. I meant to boil the water to purify for the formula later. I did both of my kids that way, I guess times change because my mother and grandmother told me to that. I don't think that is stupid at all.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• There are two trains of thought on this one! Some medical professionals recommend boiling tap water until baby is a year old, whereas others feel that, after 6 months, this kind of "over-sterilization" is contributing to the current rise in eczema and other allergies

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/childrenshealth/203080.html

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't drink tap water, so none of my children will drink it. We filter it. There are so many toxins in tap water, it's gross.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009