How do I get momma to feed her babies?

We found a litter of kittens out back just before our last snow storm. We took them in to keep them warm, and found that the momma cat was trapped somewhere on our neighbors property. 2 days later she's free, but doesn't trust us enough to come near to feed her babies. (She's a feral cat.) They are sick and will get sicker if we don't get them help, which I'm on it, but...how can we get her to come feed them, so I don't have to use kitten formula. How can we catch her/lure her into the warmth of our home? We could even get her medical treatment if we can get her to let us shelter her w/ her babes. They need their momma until they are big & strong enough to be adopted to good homes! I need proven methods, not mere suggestions and guesses. This is urgent, and getting more serious each day!

Ophy

Asked by Ophy at 4:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pets

• have you tried using food-maybe tuna or something to try to lure her in. how old are the kittens?
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• First off, I hope you are feeding them formula for now even though you are still trying to get the mom in right? They need to eat soon if not already. Second, try putting them outside and see if momma will come to them to feed them, put them in a box with some blankets and some food for the mom. If that works then you just need to keep being persistant and leaving her babies with her until she sees that you are trust worthy. She may be looking at you like you stold her babies right now and that will freak her out more. If she sees they are fine and you feed her too, then she may become a little more trusting. If she won't feed them outside even, then you may need to just formula feed them only, cause even if you do catch her it will be hard to get them to eat after a seperation this long. Call your vet and maybe see about a tranqualizer to put in mom's food to get her into the house untill you can figure something else out
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If it's been two days, more likely than not the momma's milk has gone dry and she won't be able to feed her kittens anymore even if you do get her to trust you. They really need to be on the formula so that they get nourishment. If you aren't up for the task than you really need to get a hold of a vet or a shelter and surrender the babies to them.
    Tigress0717

Answer by Tigress0717 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Most vets and anmial rescue agencies lend humane traps out (i used one last spring) use tuna in the trap, should catch momma in no time! Either that or put tuna out wait with a large blanket, when she goes for the tuna toss the blanket on her and there you go........ I have had success with both methods. Momma cats are very devoted I once saw a farel cat carry around the body of her dead kitten for 3 days (I used blanket method to catch her and remove the kitten)
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009