Everone: Have you gone through this?

A friend of mine asked me what I was listening to the other day. I told him it was Loreena McKennit's Book of Shadows CD.

He FREAKED OUT!! He said, "I thought you were a Christian!! Why are you listening to that crap??" Um . . . because I like her music?

I happen to think she is a very spiritual singer and the fact that we have differing religions has nothing to do with it. Many of her songs are historical or literary in nature, and those that aren't are beautiful and comforting to listen to.

Do you ever get flack for listening to a certain type of music or reading a certain book? This really bothered me, and I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love classic rock and that's just the way it is...lol.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 4:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No but if someone wants to judge me over the music I listen to then that's their problem.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yep... but the other way around... There is some Christian groups and music that I enjoy... I get a good bit of flack from that because I'm pagan and everyone knows it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yep. I am not Christian and I get attitudes all the time from my Christian coworkers. I had a coworker try to belittle me for reading books on reincarnation/paranormal activity. I didn't care about her opinion, but I didn't like that she basically was trying to say I was evil to our other coworkers. It happens rather frequently to me.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 5:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Evil! Evil, I say! You're a fake. It's a sin to listen to music that isn't Christian, didn't you know?

Okay now, all sarcasm aside. Yes, you get flack by a lot of people for it because people have a twisted view on the word 'Christian.' Tell him, or anyone else, that they need to take care of themselves, instead of you. What you do is between you and God, and what they do is between them and God. Some people feel more convicted over things that other's don't. Especially if it affects them, and serves as a problem more than it would someone else.

Anonymous

• I listen to all sorts of music, and I'm atheist. Some of them have Christian lyrics in them, but I don't care, music is music, and if you like it, you like it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• you have to watch out what you are putting in your body if the music is not Godly i would not Listen to it... But that's just me i surround my self with Jesus 24-7

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No although some cant look at me and believe I listen to death metal on occasion LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Point out that a good Christian wouldn't judge someone else.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I like what I like!  Music is my spirituality, it centers me and relaxes me.  My favourite is a group called Conjure One.  I have several tracks on my playlist on my profile if you're interested. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2009