Whats your secret in keeping a great marriage???

My secret is, i think of where i want to be in ten years and live like that now, and then i think in 20 years do i want to look back on all the things that we have been through and say i wouldnt want to change a thing, life is to short to waste it on bickering, i want to look back and say we worked through everything together. we are a team, every since i started living by these rules my marriage has never been better, its so great that i felt like i needed to share it with everyone. its like one of those things that is so obvious you just need it explained different, for me anyways. so now when a fight happens i stop and think is this really the right way to resolve this, it makes me want to stay and make it work, i dont want to be lazy and let my marriage go. I married him for a reason and i keep finding new reasons everyday why i want to make it work. So anyways thats my story whats yours????

emleejane

Asked by emleejane at 5:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Communication and Great Sex!! :)
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• the secret of a great marrige is for the husband to just realize that he is and always will be wrong! lol!
    Anonymous

• My secret is knowing my husband and learning to communicate on a level in which he can understand...then everything else falls in place. During the course of our marriage, I realized my husbands strengths and his weaknesses...I only argue with my dh IF I feel its necessary and every now and then its healthy for us to have an arguement because sometimes he forgets how fiesty I can be and right!!!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Willingness to forgive and letting go of unrealistic expectations.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• communication, we always kiss each other goodbye, we hold hands when we go to bed.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• One thing we do is thank each other every time we do a chore around the house - its habit now - but if I do the dishes, he will notice and say, oh honey, thanks for doing the dishes and i will do the same to him - because it is not just 1 of our jobs - its both - that always has helped us both feel appreciated
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• really? hmmm well im in this crazy spiral in my marriage and im not sure what to do anymore i mean i do love him very much but our relationship is so destructive and we both are in a constant struggle to try n make it work but how do you know when there's just
    no more hope? yea great sex does work but for a short period of time. shit i wish evertime we had a dissagreement he would just rip my clothes off and fu** me and things would be great again but after a while that runs out! what do you do after? we are now in therapy..but does it really work...?
    mkluk123

Answer by mkluk123 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i wouldnt think that way, i use to think he was controlling but i was just looking at the situation entirely wrong which was making things alot worse. but when i realized it was just that he just wanted everything i wanted too, i guess what i am trying to say is found out what the root of the problem was and fixed it. im not saying we dont have arguments but im in this marriage for life. after my eyes opened there is nothing that can break it up.
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My secret? Deployments! No really, we each get time away from each other and it makes us truly appreciate our time together. It makes us spend our time together in more loving ways since it is more precious. We rarely take each other for granted anymore because we know exactly what the other does because we get to live without it so often. Yep, the Army has saved my marraige more than once!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Forgiving ...constantly .
    ..and acting out love even when you dont 'feel' it.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009