Has anyone ever tried washing their dog with liquid dish soap?

Only because I ran out of the regular dog shampoo and I used "Dawn" it worked beautifully I don't make it a habit but they needed to be bathe. I guess the reason I used this was one because dawn cuts grease...lol and two I believe when theywere talking about birds stuck at the gulf full of oil spill this is what they used to cleaned them up. And survived.

I would of tried regular shampoo for humans but to me it seemed the dish soap was a little gentlier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pets

• yes it works wonders, and Dawn actually helps with fleas. I love it, and it works. Cheaper too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Neither is gentlier than pet shampoo.
    Anonymous

• My vet is the one that suggested it to me, so I really dont think there is any problems with it health wise either.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can use Dawn. I've been told to use that for getting rid of fleas.
    LuccasMommy

Answer by LuccasMommy at 5:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Using dish soap on a dog will actually strip the fur of natural oils over time.
    Anonymous

• lol...all I can say is "holy bubbles!!!"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It helps with fleas, just make sure you rinse them VERY well. It will dry out their skin, then that will be another issue! It will make them itch too if you dont get it all out!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It works great. They use Dawn to wash animals that get caught in oil spills. Just don't use it too often or it will cause dry skin...it's great in a pinch though!
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 9:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hey I just learned something new here!! Cool!
    My dog went to a dog park and got fleas. It's not a bad case of them but now I know what I can use!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with Anon yeah the soap works great for fleas and such however a dog's coat and skin need the oils that the soap strip them of, i suggest only using this method if necessary. Although I do use Selson Blue for my Saint as he has a really bad dry skin problem other wise
    Anonymous