What to feed my 1 yr old?

My daughter just turned a year old a few weeks ago. She doesnt really like juice or any other liquid other than milk for that matter. Sometimes she will actually swallow it and sometime she just spits it out all over the place. How do I stop this? I've tried it warm, cold, different brands, different juices- but still the same response? Also what is some good things to feed her for all three meals? I look up recipes online but they are all so dramatic and time alot of prep time, what simple and easy things do you give your kids? Guess it doesnt take a genius to figure out I'm a first timer huh? lol.

kelseysmom0327

Asked by kelseysmom0327 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son refuses milk AND juice - juice isn't really good for them anyway so no need to force it on her. For foods, I did like mac and cheese, crackers, potatoes, oatmeal, jelly toast, pasta rings, little bites of bascically everything we ate - he was / is a choker so I couldn't do tons of regular foods.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter's doctor said she can have whatever we eat, just make sure to mash it up real good. She's 9 1/2 months old and he told me that a few weeks ago. So, just whatever you cook for yourself, give to your child, but try to make sure there are fruits and veggies in the meal too.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 5:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Use fruit instead of fruit juice..kids love sliced strawberrys, mushed bannans, peaches, thinly sliced appels...
    Other than that feed her what you eat. Just make it her portion size and cut up to her size.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• What ever you're eating just modified a little to your daughters needs. Just give her time as far as the liquid goes. She'll get the hang of it. You may just need to try different styles of sippy cups until you find one that she likes. Maybe she spits it out because she just wants to or she thinks it's funny. Try not to react to this, as long as she's not choking then she is fine. 1 yr. old friendly food: yogurt with fruit. Toast w/ butter, cheese, jam, (I give my son PB toast and he's never had a problem).Quesadilla w/ cheese, mashed beans & cheese. Deli meat sandwich. Cooked peas and corn. Mac N Cheese. Oatmeal cooked w/ whole milk-add cooked fruit, raisins. Pancakes, waffles, cereal (you can give breakfast for lunch). Scrambled eggs w/ cheese. I will boil chicken then grind it down a little with veggies, cheese, and milk(this is the only way I can get my son to eat chicken or any kind of meat).
    Anonymous

• My daughter was eating what ever everyone else was eating- She refused baby food from the age of 5months on up. So I just blended up some things and mashed the others. She is now going to be 7yrs this summer, and will eat anything.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Cont.
    Usually I will take what ever we are having for dinner and grind it down a little, add some milk, and a little shredded cheese. Yams are a good veggie, slice them into circled pieces and bake them w/ a little olive on the oven.
    Anonymous

• She doesn't really need juice. If you do give her juice it should be diluted with water: 2oz juice, the rest water. She does however need 16-24 oz of whole milk (unless your pedi says otherwise) each day. Don't give her more than that or it can actually affect her body's ability to absorb vitamins. Offer water in between meals.

As far as meals go, feed her what you eat just make sure it's cut up small enough, is soft enough, and not too hot. It may take several tries of a food before she'll like it so hang in there.

You can also go on-line to the food pyramid and design a meal plan for her. By inputting her age, weight, and activity level it'll tell you how much of the different food groups she needs.

At her age I gave my twins cheerios and yogurt for breakfast one day, oatmeal the next, and a waffle and fresh fruit the next. If she likes the cereal and yogurt or oatmeal, go ahead and stick with that for a bit.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Cont'd.

A typical lunch at that age: whatever we were having for dinner that night. I'd cook while they took their morning nap. I might serve some baked chicken breast, rice or potato, and a veggie. I'd also add a side of applesauce either with lunch or dinner to make it a little different.
    Spaghetti and meatballs is another favorite and so easy to do. I have a great recipe for chicken pot pie. PM me if you're interested.
    If the boys didn't have a dairy allergy I'd also throw in mac n cheese. That's a great dish to hide pureed veggies like carrots, squash, or coliflower in. Red sauce works too for hiding extra veggies.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009