How do you wean a 2yo?

My friend is really upset because people are beginning to belittle her for her choice to breastfeed her daughter so long. Whether it was right or not, she's 25 months now and my friend is ready to wean. She has tried just saying no, providing extra snuggle time, offering food/drink in place of breastfeeding...all to no avail. I don't know what to suggest as my kids were 6 and 10 months when they weaned. It's so different. Her daughter is walking/talking and very attached emotionally to the act. I don't really think it's a nutritional need she has any longer, I think it's totally emotional and that the toddler wants the control in the situation. Any advice would be happily received and I will pass it along. Thanks.

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 5:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, I would think the mom just has to figure out how to stop - I am sure the little one will throw screaming fits for a couple days but just use tough love.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If her daughter is eating a balanced diet then she needs to take away one feeding per week or week in a half. She needs to remove the one she thinks that her daughter will miss the least. Then she just has to do it and stick to her guns. She'll need to switch the routine just a little so her daughter doesn't fallow the usual cue. Her daughter is most likely going to cry, but she has to walk away. After a day or two she should stop crying and be fine. There isn't an easy way to do it. I think that when it comes down to it us Mom's have more of an attachment to the breast feeding because this is the last of them being our babies. Give her support and and reassure her that she is doing the right thing and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• "Don't offer, Don't refuse". This simple technique may help accelerate the weaning process when used with other methods. Sometimes when moms says "no" it makes the toddler ask even more.
    Change daily routines. Try to avoid the "nursing chair" or other usual "nursing station" in your home as much as possible at the times when she usually would ask to nurse. Stand up as much as possible!
    Anticipate nursings and offer substitutions and distractions. Try offering a snack or drink at that time. Take her to his favorite place at the usual nursing time. Other distractions: reading, bike rides, visits from friends, a new toy, walking/singing to the child.
    Shorten the length of nursing, or try to postpone for longer and longer times.
    A great book with lots of tips is "How Weaning Happens" by Diane Bengson
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009