What ACTUALLY hurts?

When labor starts what is more painful (this is also with an epidural)

is it before pushing that hurts?

or is it the pushing and trying to get baby out that hurts?

or is it after the baby is out that hurts?

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 5:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on how well your epidural takes. I had an epidural. Before I got it, I felt some pain, and none while I had it (including before and during pushing). My pain was afterwards. I had a 3rd degree episiotemy and I tore and I was very sore for a month, and I still have pain sometimes now 9 1/2 months later.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 5:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i would said labor pains but i did not get to push
    damm docs told me all day i would not need a c-section
    but in the end i needed one :(
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• awww jeeze!!! =[
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 5:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• transitioning I think is the worst. Before transition was easy. I could breath, and relax. Pushing wasn't bad at all. I only pushed for 10 min, and never really crowned so never really got the ring of fire. Transition for me was a little rough.. Afterward was easy. No tearing, no cuts. I was walking around immediately afterward and could have run a marathon. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Since I had a c-section, the labor part was excruciating until I requested "the wonder drug"..
    Anonymous

• im terrified of getting a C-section..cuz what if i end up feeling it...or i dont stop bleeding xD
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 5:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• a cesarean shouldn't even be a fear of anyone's because only 10-15 percent of women actually need them. Educate yourself on what necessitates a cesarean. OB's over due them a lot, you need to be educated and prepared.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My epidural didnt help with the pain at all, but made me unable to hold my baby for an hour because I couldnt move my arms. Make sure a good Dr puts it in so you dont end up like me!

The first part was not super bad, transition is really bad, but over really quickly if baby is positioned right, and for me pushing was a relief, it felt so good to be doing something. It burned, but it was better than transition. After the baby came out (like IMMEDIATELY after) I couldnt remember feeling a thing, no pain, just all about my baby. I will say though to get the peri bottle, it is a squirt bottle that you fill with water, and squirt yourself with water while you are peeing and it will help with the burning of the pee on your raw vajayjay. Then pat dry with TP and it helps a bunch, and get some Dermoplast too it helps numb you if you have to have stitches...a life saver.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I didn't feel a thing with our son. I got an epidural right away and was pain free during it all. After the birth I had complications and bled for about 8 hours so they had to carterize me, if I spelled that right and had to push on my abdomens alot, so I had some pain afterwards, but that was about it.
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 5:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The one time I had labor.. The contractions were horrible. They were pitocin induced which I have heard makes them much worse.
    The epidural was amazing.
    During pushing, I only felt a weird sort of pain on my side, but it wasn't bad.
    Then I had a c-section and healed up nicely. It was hard to learn how to poop again after the pushing. I had never even HEARD that before. So it came as a complete shock that after being told to push and taught how to push the next day when I went to push out... well you know, I was pushing in the wrong place. Hope that's helpful information. :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009