War crimes

Do you think guys like this one should be given a break, after so many years after the war or should they face the trial and be prosecuted despite their current health conditions and age?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090406/ap_on_re_us/demjanjuk_germany

I apologize, I dont know how to create a link in the question. You will have to copy/paste the above line, starting with http.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 5:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I've been watching this case a lot since it revolves around the city I live in and I do think he aught to be deported. he has never once shown or had any remorse or denounced the goings ons he is accused of as being bad.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 5:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Ditto, My Friend.
    Do you live near Cleveland, I am a little over 200 east of there.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 5:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I also grew up near Cleveland and I just heard this case was back in the news. Honestly, I thought they already deported him! Do they still think he was Ivan the Terrible? The last I heard, they were saying he wasn't, but that he had committed "lesser" war crimes. I have to look into this some more. But to answer your question, yes they need to deport him and he needs to stand trial for his crimes. He hasn't shown remorse, and I don't care how old he is now, that doesn't lessen the atrocities that he committed.

feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 5:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• He was tried in Israel and found to be who he claimed he was, and not Ivan the terrible. I say leave him alone.
    Anonymous

• I need to research this more, but if I knew that there was enough evidence that proved he was in Sobibor, participated in torture in death of thousands of innocent people, then I think he should be deported and face the judge.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 7:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• the guy is 89 years old? I say leave him alone.. he cant change what happened in the past and even if he could I bet he was forced to do it, as I remember correctly it was "do it" or "be done to".. as in do it or join them.

I dont know though.. i guess it all depends on if this is infact the right guy or not
    Anonymous

• I'm from Cleveland and know this story well. I say leave the old man alone to live his last days in peace. What's done is done and nothing can change that and he's at the end of his rope, anyhow.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Besides, right now there are too many other issues for which the money could be spent to help our economy as opposed to dealing with something that has been so ongoing as this story!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• What's worse, someone (more than likely...as most were in those days) forced to do horrible things, or have them done to themselves or fast-forward to '09 and people are idiotic enough to think that punishing an 89-yr-old is going to accomplish something. For pete's sake, I wish they'd just stop being stupid and let these people live the rest of their life in peace.
    Anonymous

• Deport him. What him and others like him did to my family is awful. He had a choice no one can make you kill and torture. We are already forgetting the things they did to the Jews and others consider undesirable. My dads oldest brother was born in a concentration camp. He was ripped from my grandmothers arms and then experimented on until he died. This man has gotten away with what he has done and should be punished. Those who think otherwise need to pick up a history book and look at what was done. He had a choice.

Anonymous