what should I do if my 7 year old wants to shave her arms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can understand if she is getting teased because I also have hairy arms and got teased alot in school. Explain to her that if she shaves her arms, she will be stuck shaving them forever, otherwise it'll grow back thicker. I know because I shaved my arms without my mom's permission and yes it grew back thicker! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• seriously???
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Her underarms or on top of her arms?

I would say for sure no way to the top, shaving under the arms is a personal call, but I still think 7 is wayyyyyy to young. I think around age 13 or 14 would be more appropriate.

Shaving on top of her arms will only cause stubble which is worse than hair b/c everyone knows you are trying to get rid of it.

Is is THAT bad?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't let her. 7 is too young to be shaving anything.
    Anonymous

• Tell her "No!"
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Tell her NO, she is to young.

Answer by louise2 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I can't imagine my 7y/o dd asking me that! I wonder if it is a peer pressure thing in this case...
    abelmm2

Answer by abelmm2 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i have always been self conscious of my arm hair but i never shaved it. but i did start shaving my legs at 9. but definately tell her no, if you shave that you have to do it for the rest of your life and it probably grows back prickly
    Anonymous

• I started shaving in 4th grade, so I guess I was 8 or 9. I wish I would've waited longer. My MIL has never shaved her legs and there is barely any hair. I will do my best to prevent dd from shaving her legs at all, let alone her arms. But as far as the underarms, well, that would just depend on how much hair.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009