New Mom, Breastfeeding Question! Please Help.

I actually Have a couple questions. This is my first baby and the mama's on here seem to have great Advice, so here goes:

!. I've heard that brocoli, lettuce, cabbage, and asparagus should be avoided while breastfeeding, are there any others?

2. What are the best foods to eat while breastfeeding?

3. My son favors my right breast over my left. Are there any tricks to get him to latch on to the left breast as well? Will my left breast dry up if I can only get him to latch on occassionaly and pump the rest of the time?

4. If one breast isn't producing milk consistantly and drys up, will the other dry up as well?

5. What can be done to increase milk production besides continued nursing and pumping?

Please don't be mean , this is my first child and I just want to do everything I can to make sure I can continue breastfeeding! Any other tips are greatly appreciated. =)

JacquiV

Asked by JacquiV at 5:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• 1) you can try to eat those foods but those are the most likely to cause gas and such, and the first to avoid if you baby gets an upset tummy, another one is garlic
    2) Anything healthy, but keep taking your prenatal vitamin. ou should be good with the same diet you had when pregnant
    3)Offer him the left side first at every feeding untill he gets the hang of it, and yes it can become more "dry" than your other one if he doesnt eat alot on that side, pumping will help but it is not the same and cant fully maintain supply
    4) No, it shou,ldnt and the one not being used wont completely dry up either just your boobs will look lopsided, just keep offering it to him, he will get the hang of it.
    5) there are some herbs and teas, but I am not sure what they are caled without looking it up. The best thing though it to just keep feeding, the more he eats the more you will make
    Good for you for sticking it out!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I haven't avoided any foods with my dd and I haven't had any issues, we've been breastfeeding for just over 12 months now. There may be foods that seem to bother your son and obviously those are the ones you should avoid, but I haven't heard of a list of foods that aren't good to eat in general. The only thing I can think of to suggest in regards to him favoring one side over the other is to offer the side he doesn't latch on as well first at each feeding and pump anything that's left if he doesn't empty that side. Or you could try pumping until you reach letdown on that side right before offering it to him to see if that helps. My dd prefers my left side because let down happens faster on that side. I'm not sure about one side drying up affecting the other side... One thing that has helped me if I feel a little low is eating oatmeal every so often for breakfast, boosts my supply right up! Good luck, and good for you!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• none of those foods will affect your baby, my baby had colic and if that happens i do suggest the no dairy product diet which worked wonders for me. all those foods are so nutritional for you and you are still eating for 2 dont believe myths and go with what you are comfortable with. i would pump the other breast and maybe try using a bottle too, i got stuck with my baby not taking anything i wish i would have done a bottle for those crazy times of need its hard to travel and breast feed, for me it was because i was so shy about it, im not a public kind of person. vitamin c helps increase milk production too!! i used emergen c but about every other day and only in the morning. dont listen to other peoples horror stories they probably are not true. eat whatever you want, spicy food too, i love spicy food, the only time where i think a diet matters is if your child has colic. enjoy these moments they go by fast i just stopped
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 5:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• about 3 weeks ago, and i wish someone would have told me from day one to use cream on your nipples, i got super bad cracked nipples by week 2 and my baby would not take a bottle, lanolin cream is wonderful and is super safe for your baby!!!
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 5:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had to avoid pepperoni.
    Anonymous

• Thank You all so Much! If there are any more suggestions or tips They are always Welcome!!! =)
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 7:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• 1.) You only need to worry about avoiding them if they seem to give your baby gas. Chocolate is one not mentioned on your list, as is dairy. Try not to stress about it...if you eat something and baby gets really gassy, try to avoid it from then on out.

2. Healthy foods. Green leafy veggies, fruits...the kind you'd eat while pregnant.

3. You can try different positions...laying down, the football hold.

4. No. They are not in unison. Many mothers BF on only one breast.

5. Fenugreek- 3 caps 4X's a day. Mothers Milk Tea. Oatmeal, LOTS of water. Those are OTC remedies. Prescription remedies include Reglan and Domperidone. Reglan you have to be super careful with. If you have ANY history at all with depression, keep a million mile radius away from it. It crosses the blood/brain barrier and can cause some nasty side effects.

GL mama...glad to hear you've chosen BFing! And congrats on the little man!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009