When should you start Tummy Time?

Is there a certain time you should start tummy time? Should they have tummy time every day? And for how long? Thanks!

mommy-wines

Asked by mommy-wines at 6:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did when they were first born....It helps them develop their neck muscles too...But if they got too fussy I got them back up. :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 6:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Birth.
    Every day, many times a day.
    You leave the baby on his tummy until he really starts to fuss and cry. To help him tolerate it longer, get down on the floor facing him. Encourage him to hold up his head to look at you. Dangle a toy between the two of you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I started when my son stopped sleeping for more than 3/4 of the day lol... then i did it about three times a day for twenty mins each time. he was holding up his own head by about 3 months. i left him there till he was actually crying and not fussing. but i didnt just leave him, i actually was down laying in front of him and encouraging him to look at me. once he could hold up his own head he still got tummy time just alone sometimes and sometimes with me. then i kept doing it that way till he crawled at about 5 months or so!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I started with my boys at birth, but they were really good with their heads. As soon as they got fussy, we would roll over and play a different game for awhile. Another favorite game was the low pillow they could lay over on their bellies and look (and coo) at a variety of toys. My oldest could do this for awhile...so FUN!!
    mom2-2crazyboys

Answer by mom2-2crazyboys at 8:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• At Azy's 1 month check up her peds said it was time to start tummy time, so I started when she was 4 weeks old. She started holding her head way up at 7 weeks while she was on her tummy. She would only tolerate it for about 10 min at a time.
    ReDy2BeMomAgaiN

Answer by ReDy2BeMomAgaiN at 10:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009