Would you do this?

Ok, I went to pay my cable bill, and I saw this woman holding her son by the hood of his shirt. That in itself didnt bother me, but when the kiddo tried to move ,the hood would pull back against his throat and he pulled harder. The harder he pulled, the harder she seemed to hold him. I said to the lady next to me ,

loving_mom7

Asked by loving_mom7 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nothing is wrong with what she was doing..Trying to keep her kid from running all over the place.IMO. I would have been more bothered if the kid was running all over. IMO

Answer by louise2 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Ok, sorry, maybe I should have put that the poor kids face was turning beet red from the shirt pulling against his neck. And it was twisting as he tried to get away.
    loving_mom7

Answer by loving_mom7 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I bet he stopped pulling against the shirt eventually.
    Anonymous

• It's just as effective to grab the kid by his hand. I don't think holding a child by his hood is a good way to get the point across. I don't like when my kids do it to each other...why do it myself?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't personally do it, but it sounds like she was just trying to keep him from running around...I know sometimes when I try to hold my sons hand to keep him in place he can slide out of my grip, maybe in her case the hood is the only thing that would work...and I'm sure he just kept pulling in hopes if he pulled hard enough she would let go
    Nicole080984

Answer by Nicole080984 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i've held my daughter by the hood of her jacket before. if shes in a fiesty enough mood she can get out of my grip and she will only pull so much before she realizes its not going to do any good. not the best method i know but its better than her ending up under a cars tire or kidnapped.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't care what the child is doing u don't act violently towards your child to get him/her to act right.
    Anonymous

• Holding a child's hood is NOT acting violently. Puh-LEEZ. She wasn't yanking him around by his hood. She was just holding it. If he was pulling away and his face was turning red, that's his problem. He needs to learn to obey.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ....and to answer your original question, yes, I would do this and I have done it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i agree. the mother wasnt doing anything wrong. if he was standing still beside her like he was suppose to be doing his face wouldn't have been beat red.

not the best method as people said, but sometimes you do what works.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009