Do you ever walk?

Do you ever walk to the store instead of drive? Or take the bus? I never drive (we only have one car and I hate driving so I really don't care if we ever become a two car family). I live in a medium sized city, so it's not like I'm in NYC and can just hop on the subway. I do try to take the bus rather than drive some places (Obviously not when I'm doing my "big" grocery shopping for the month). We love to walk, and are fortunate to live in a place with a fairly mild winter (though it's the Pacific Northwest, so it rains a bunch). Anyway, people act like I'm some kind of freak for not wanting to drive everywhere. Not only is it better for the environment, but it helps me get some exercise too. Plus, I think I'm teaching my child a pretty good lesson so he won't be as lazy as I used to be. I'm not trying to judge, I realize I only have one kid, so it's much easier for me. Just wondered if I was the only one!

feministmama

Asked by feministmama at 6:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, I slither everywhere.
    Anonymous

• i do walk sometimes it makes me feel
    light and fit and i think that i might
    be burning some calories.
    another trick is walking while holding
    my tummy in.. you really feel the burn!!
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 6:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't live close enough to really walk anywhere. Well, technically I could, but the road doesn't have a sidewalk. It just seems dangerous, so no, I never walk to the store. I do walk around my neighborhood though, with dd in the stroller.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• What bothers me about were I live,,is there are no side walks. So if you want to walk anywere you have to walk in the street.

Answer by louise2 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I wish I could walk places. I live in South Florida so within 5 minutes of being outside youre drenched in sweat. Also I dont live that close to things and again, with the heat I'd probably drop dead halfway. Plus no one really walks where I live so idk Id be kinda like an open target.
    I do however take daily walks with my son in the stroller (when its around 5 and the sun isnt killing us)
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I love to walk in our nice suburban neighborhood.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• my family and i walk everywhere, we walk to the store, the park, even the doctors office, but we live on a military base and everything is within walking distance
    Anonymous

• I live in England in a medium sized place with plenty of amenities within walking distance - 15 minutes to shops, doctors etc. It feels perfectly safe walking in day time.
    My daughter gets the bus to school and I do to work - we're a 1 car house too. Hubby comes grocery shopping at weekends with me.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I live in the middle of no where it would take me hours and hours to walk to the store
    joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 6:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• cant...no bus, the closet store is across 2 major roads, & there are very few sidewalks. my DH use to bike around, but there are so many ignorant fools on the road who nearly run him over, he stopped. i had my own car before we got married, so to cut down on the environmental toll i try to only go to the store 1-2 times a paycheck.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009