Getting Rid of that old bottle

I need some advice ladies. My son is 18 months old, and I'd like to wean him from the bottle, but every time I put milk in a sippy cup or a regular cup, he puts it down and makes a face. How do I get him to drink like a big boy?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 6:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried to put his formula or milk in his sippy or regular cup?

Another thing to try is for you yourself to drink from regular toddler size cups whenever your with him and let him share. Little ones love to share with mommy and he make take to a cup sooner.

I've done this with 4 of mine and at age 2 they were all drinking from regular cups full time. They never used a sippy. This made it so nice for me, exspecially when we went out. I never had to worry about missing sippy cups or washing them. I always hated washing them. (my eldest was the only one to have a sippy)

I bought some really nice plastic cups at the dollar store. The cups hold about 6 oz and are the perfect size. I got them to use at home.

Hope that helps some. :-)
    Anonymous

• Try Try And Try Again lol. Is he not getting anything from the sippy? If its one of the ones they have to suck on so it doesnt leak. Try putting juice in it. Is he around other kids at all that drink from sippy cups?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• STOP GIVING HIM A BOTTLE. If you don't give it to him then he can't have it. He will drink it when he gets thirsty. It is a battle of wills and your letting him win. He should have been off the bottle months ago.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have tried putting his milk in a sippy cup, or regular cup, I've tried both. I haven't tried sharing my cup with him, I will though. Maybe he'll take it that way. I can always toss the sippy cup lids (I bought some of those cheap ones that can be used as storage containers, sippy cups or regular cups....they're awesome. ) Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• He may take to the sippy cups with straws. You have two options: cold turkey or one feeding at a time, starting with breakfast and gradually working your way to the last bottle.

It's also a good idea to fill a sippy with water and put it in with his toys so he can play/experiment/practice at his own pace.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• our dog kept getting the bottles so at 11 months i said this is the last bottle i am going to buy sure enough at almost 11 1/2 month the dog got the bottle. So that was it. Our pedi told us to get the sippy cups with straws get one for yourself teach the lo how to drink from it say see mama is doing it too!!! The only down side is they won't drink from a reg sippy cup only straws but its great if you go out to eat and you don't have to worrie if you got the sippy cup they have cups with straws lol* i wish you luck
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• oh they are twenty months now
    mama2twins07

• Thank you all for your suggestions. Tonight I had him sipping milk from a big boy cup (just a regular cup) after Mommy took a sip and showed him how fun it was. He still wanted his bottle before bed (of course). Tomorrow, I'm putting the bottle up. If he needs it before bed, he can have it tomorrow night, but not during the day, and then the next day, no bottle, day or night. Hopefully I can stick to it. I'm a weak willed woman when it comes to his cries. Even though I know it's better for him if I can stick it out. Wish me luck! And again, thank you all for your replies. They are much appreciated.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Start by putting him in a highchair and giving him the cup with the spill proof stopper out of it so he can learn that stuff comes out of it. After he gets that figured out put the stoppers back in and he will start sucking trying to find it when it doesn't come right out!!
    katana4202

Answer by katana4202 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009