How do I restrain my child because I have no expereince.

The doctor said to restrain him when he has violetn outbursts I just don know how. Its kinda enbarrising help please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sit him on your lap and wrap your arms around him until he stops having a fit
    Sunfires

Answer by Sunfires at 6:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• sit on him. not really put all your weight on him but if you sit on his lower half and you can use your hands to hold his hands and your bottom will be holding his legs. we had to do this with my youngest brother because he hurt himself and others too badly when he threw temper tantrums.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Sit down with your back against a wall. put him between your legs (so you can put your legs on top of his. Hold him in a bear hug (your arms criss crossed over his chest & try to place hs head way below yours so he can't headbutt you.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 7:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Use your arms and legs to wrap him up. He'll fight for a bit (if he's like mine) but he'll relax. My son then relaxes and welcomes the feeling of being enveloped and will sit like that for the rest of the day if I'd let him! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• we were trained on how to do this at the daycare i worked at, but we also had to work with special needs children who would get extremely violent. If he's little, just hold him on your lap and hug him in a bear hug from the back of him. If he's bigger and really bad about head butting, then your gonna have to sit against a wall we always did one leg out and put your other leg around the child and over his lap in a figure 4 position, and if they're bad with head butting then we had to hold they're wrist's and bring they're hands behind they're head. It makes it very difficult to head but that way. And on rare occasion some of the kids could wiggle out of the legs and thats when you would have to wrap both legs around them kinda indian style like. If you have any problems or just can't get it right, talk to your doctor and they can show you they're perfered way.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• rap arms around arms, and legs around legs. Talk to you child in a calm voice and let him/her know that you will let them go when they calm down and apologize. then when there done apologizing explain to them that that was not good behavior and if it happens again then they can go to there room, or take something of theirs.
    achylegs

Answer by achylegs at 8:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have had to restrain many kids and I agree with lanckn. It is called a basket hold. Really watch for the head butting!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• oh yeah forgot about the head butting good one. : )
    achylegs

Answer by achylegs at 12:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Not on subject. . .but my daughter tried that about twice, the second time I stuck her in a cold shower, clothes and all. . . .that was the last time!!
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 12:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I had a friend whos daughter have volent out bursts and somone told her to do what panditacp just said, drag them to an ice cold shower... it only took three times for her to learn to control her behavior in that regard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2009