What do you think of women or men who are on Welfare and dont really need it?

I feel as though some people do NOT need welfare. I AM on welfare so im not really in any possition to talk, BUT I do need the welfare..i do not plan on staying on it long because id much rather work rather than be given $214 every 2 weeks...

Some people dont need it because they're too lazy to get a job. Me, im pregnant and i need a little help and im 38 weeks pregnant and i havent been able to work from the beginning due to medical conditions.

How do you feel about people who abuse the right to have welfare?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well usually if they dont need it then they wont get approved for it.... I guess im not understanding what your meaning....
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was once on assistance when I left my abusive 1st husband and worked hard to get off it due to my pride. now I am married to a wonderful hard working man and our taxes contribute to assistance. We understand the need for assistance but why should we be paying for those who abuse it?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i use to get food stamps got a job and got off!! the way i see it everyone needs help everyonce in awhile. BUt i do know what you are saying. They are raising the price limit on who can get food stamps so i know a lady who has 5 kids about to have another to stay on welfare... my thing is if you divide that a day by person its only like 3 dollars a day each.. not permeal but each. so not worth it
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Somehow ppl beat the system and get it when they dont need it. My SIL is one of them... she chooses not to work but still pops babies out and her 45 yr old husband wont work to support his family either. They have no excuse to not be in the work force. I get mad because ppl who do need it (I get medical assistance) don't. It took me til I was 4 mths pregnant after 3X appealing the case to get medical assistance finally. I feel it was made for ppl who need it for a short amount of time. Like me; I go to school, My fiancee works and we struggle from check to check but eventually when I am done school & get my own job or get married I won't need it anymore. But ppl find ways to take advantage and give the ppl on it a bad name.
    Sunshine4u300

Answer by Sunshine4u300 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Tothe poster who says if they dont need it they wont get it that may be true at first but not as the years pass. I know someone who has gotten 2 associate degrees, one in criminal justice and one in travelism, yet has done nothing with them.. Has a job as a waitress her daycare and medical for herself and three children free, plus food stamps. Has been on section 8 for years in a house that would rent for over a grand a month , very nice home and pays only 200 dollars on section 8 and her bf lives with her and makes enough moneyto support them all. I hate this! My dh pays over 600 a month to insure us and we still end up with medical bills. I spend over 6o0 a month on groceries. I have a cousin who also works under the table my mom was over there babysitting and said wow she has alot of nice stuff in her home. Im thinking yes she does she dosent have to pay a dime for groceries! I think there should be a time limit.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• People can lie on their application for Food stamps. I'm sure people don't add in how much they pay for cell phones, internet and cable. IMO, if you can't afford food, you shouldn't be sitting on your butt playing on the internet. Priorities....

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• there IS a way to beat the system and its highly disturbing!
    Anonymous

• What I would like to say to this question would get me kicked off Cafe Mom :)
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• As disgusted as I am with the people that accept welfare and don't really need it-- I'm even more disgusted with our Government for giving people tax payers money when they actually don't need it! Or giving people more than they need. Maybe if they personalized it- or let local charities handle it we wouldn't have such a problem.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Tough question. I feel like I can't judge by looking at the outside. My DH & I were getting Food Stamps when we both lost our jobs but we got off them. I feel like the system worked how it should--we paid in for years & when we needed help for a few months, we got that help. But I always felt like I was being judged. I can't imagine having that feeling all the time. I tried to always use the self check out & shop late at night to avoid having anyone see me use Food Stamps. I really have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to live that way. But like I said, I didn't like people judging me so I will try not to judge them. You never know what is really happening in someone's life.
    Anonymous