post-partum

I was watching Oprah today and it was all about moms and moms to be and they talked a little about post-partum depression and it made me remember my bout with it after the birth of my son. It made me wonder. How many women are there out there who are silently dealing with it because they feel ashamed for how they feel? Before I became a mom I never really gave post-partum depression a lot of merit. I now know it was because for a long time (and still somewhat) it was never talked about, it was taboo. And so countless moms go thru it alone and it was one of the worst things I have ever been thru. I wish I knew then what I know now. Luckily I only had a slight case. Some women though, suffer a great deal. Any stories out there? I am sure there are moms on here now who could use some encouragement and support.

GMR

Asked by GMR at 6:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think i do, but I have good days and bad days, and i don't want to go the doc with it, i just can't bring myself too, ds is 6 months
    Anonymous

• I had PPD but I went and got help 3 weeks after my daughter was born. I was having horrible thoughts about myself and my baby. I have seen depression rip families apart so I knew I had to get help. My midwife put me on zoloft and with the help of my family and God my daughter is 4 1/2 months old and I am symptom free. I agree PPD needs to be talked about WAY more often. There's a great website out there called Jennys Light and it's dedicated to women with PPD. Just known it is treatable and it will go away, even though you feel like you will feel horrible forever. I promise it does end! But the sooner you get help the quicker it will be over. I was actually able to use my story for m church so I know God had me go through this so I could help others. Please feel free to email me anyone... I would love to talk kaitlyn.Altman@gmail.com
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I am currently suffering silently. Well at least as far as my family friends and husband go, however I think some of them suspect. My son will be 10 months on Wed and I finally did go to the doc a few weeks ago for medication. He gave me Cymblata but I have yet to try it. Unfortunatly practically my whole family is in Pharmaceuticals, my husband is in Regulatory Affairs, my father in law is a published scientist and my mother in law is in Clinical. Due to this I hear all the horrer stories about drugs all the time. Now I am afriad to take them. They are sitting on my nightstand calling my name. I am actually afraid because I am more depressed now than I was and I dont want it to get worse but they say untreated PPD can get out of hand eventually. So I am torn.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Scoobersmom, I have heard really good things about cymbalta. That's actually the medication my therapist recommended for me but I was already on zoloft. PPD is just like any other disease. It's a chemical imbalance that needs fixed. Cymbalta will help your chemical imbalance just like metformin helps diabetics. Start taking it so you can get back to yourself. If you won't do it for yourself do it for your baby.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009