Do you think 3 times a week for a 1 year old to go w/ his dad is a little much?

3 non-consecutive days a week seems to be a lot, and one of the days is a non work day and its for 10 hours... and my son's father wasn't even in his life the first year.. he's now 14 months.. do you think thats a lot?

shenae704

Asked by shenae704 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you discussed this with your attorney/child advocate? That is your best bet. If the relationship between you and the estranged parent is tense the child will pick up on it as well as the father of the child. Talk to your attorney hon. Best wishes.
    KimberleyJo

Answer by KimberleyJo at 1:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well if "dad" and you lived together he would be with his kid 7 days a week. So I really don't understand why 3 days would be bad, regardless if they were consecutive or not. Just because at first he didn't want anything to do with the child doesn't mean that it should be held against him forever...people do change. With that said, if the relationship between you and Dad is an unfriendly one you may want to consider an more permanent schedule that IS court approved. I have got a niece that spends every Wednesday night at her Dad's and every other weekend at his place too. Mom worked so Dad had to take her to the sitters by x time on Thursday Morning, as she got older and started school, he has to take her to school. The holidays are an every other year thing.  For example THIS year is Thanksgiving Mom; Christmas Dad, NEXT year Thanksgiving Dad; Christmas Mom.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• He can't have him overnight until he is 3 years old because he didn't have 'regular care responsibilities' for our son...
    shenae704

Answer by shenae704 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No it's not bad at all. If the father wants to be in his child's life then let him! That shouldn't cause a problem even if you two are not together. My children go to their father's house every weekend so that I can work. They cope well with it. Just make sure it's a routine thing for your child because a change in schedule can confuse a child! For instance one time my children had to go my mom's house for the weekend because their father had the flu and my son was disappointed because he wanted to see his daddy!
    Queen87

Answer by Queen87 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well, my whole point is- its not him who wants to be the dad. His parents are MAKING him tell me stuff so THEY can see him.. its not him at all.
    shenae704

Answer by shenae704 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008