What do I do??

We got a dog and it pees every where and my hubby flips out about it and then yells at me like its my fault. I dont know what to do, i cant keep this up its to stress full and draining. should i give the dog back,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Keep the pup crated. Take him out of the crate and set him outside to "go." Then feed him and take him outside again. Being sure to praise him when he goes. play with him, then put him back in the crate. I don't have a dog, though, so this is just what I've read. Google crate training for more information.

Answer by Bmat at 7:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• That is precisely why I like to recommend.. Petfinder.com. You can adopt an older dog from a rescue shelter. If you can take the puppy back, DO IT! Don't feel bad, I did it too and then I adopted this wonderful older dog..already potty trained and knows the rules.. just didn't have a home. I am so glad I did this. There are some "puppy" families out there, but it takes so much work.. just like a baby.
    Anonymous

• well my dog is about 2 years and he still doesnt get it all the time, so if it's just a pup, you got a long time to go.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You should house train your dog. Or, give it back and never try this experiment again.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 7:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i feel you after 3 wks i'm rehoming my puppy cause i flip out. its a new house and want to keep it smelling fresh with the new baby coming. she is super hard to train. i'm exhausted trying.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• oh and i tried the crate thing but mine just goes to the bathroom in there as well. if you try that make sure you get the right size. although that may not work. my sil says her chi does the same.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• This is a little annoying but it worked for me. Keep the puppy on a leash. It helps to get the puppy use to being on a leash and a puppy on a leash cannot go without you knowing about it. Watch the puppy and get to know it's tell signs that it is about to go. This way you can stop the puppy from going and tell it no.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Treat the puppy like a child.
    Give him water only when you want him to have water and you are able to let him go piddle.
    Let him have access to water for 15 mins then take it away once in the morning then in the afternoon. Then take the water away at night. He won't dehydrate. Get him on a schedule of having water and going to the bathroom at regular times. This will build up the strength of his bladder. Then pretty soon you'll have no problems at all! No need to give your puppy back. :-)
    Hope this helps you out.
    ~Missi~
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I helped train a friend's dog... well he left her at my house i trained her then he took her back.... Crate training is really the best way to go, Feed and water the pup daily at the same times according to the breed (large dogs require allot more food more often) about 10-15 mins after feeding either walk or put the pup out side UNTIL they do their business... This is the part many leave out! Be patient it may take the pup 15-20 mins out side to go potty however when they do either specifically say pee, poop or just potty... when taking the dog out side say gotta go potty? My friends pup was trained in 2 weeks, she scratches at the door and barks when she has to go out, also, if she has a accident she is scolded (NEVER put their nose in it! It just makes them get used to the smell and usually has the opposite affect u want) She is then put out side for 5 mins then brought in scolded and put in her crate for 20 mins, GL
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009