Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you help me please anyone???!!

Hello all,

I need some serious help!!! See those two beautiful little girls with me, their mommy????!!!! Well my mother in law is taking me to court for full custody of them.

No, I have never been deemed an unfit mother. She has been doing this to me for years.....They're precious, who wouldn't want them is the only reason I can think of why she is doing this to me. And has been doing this to me. I'm tired of fighting her, can't I just be the mother without her always being there trying to defeat me??? What do I do??? I can't give up! But what will happen in court? Please help, I'm so scared......

I need some advice on how to win this thing. I don't have the money for a lawyer. I love my girls more than life itself!!!!!! Please someone, if you know of any lawyers who can help me....I don't know, just someone please help!

Answer Question

Asked by nsmelt at 6:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • I do not believe she can take children away from their mother without very good cause.

    Answer by writeon at 7:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Get a restraining order against her...she'll break that EASILY and then she'll go to jail for breaking the restraining order...

    If you provide for your children and theyre living in a safe home then they cannot do shit to you..

    but now she's starting to become obsessed so GET A RESTRAINING ORDER!! GO TO THE COURT AND TELL THEM!!

    Answer by MissKellee at 7:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • since your the mommy you have more right then her! where is your hubby in all this? if you have never done anything for her to say your an unfit mommy then you have nothing to worry about! i would also get a restraining order! since your the mom you have the right to make sure she never can see them EVER! GOOD LUCK and just pray and have faith!


    Answer by woobie102 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • well dont take my word because i dont know you but i dont think someone can just take your kids unless your proved to be unfit or dead.

    the best thing would be for me, if i was in your situation is MOVE!! but i already think your going to say you cant do that but if she's been doing such a thing for years and there's no reason, i would want to get the heck out of there.

    Answer by americansugar80 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I agree without reasonable cause a person whether related or not cant just take your kids from you. I would try to see if there is a Legal Aide in your county that can offer legal representation. I wouldnt go in without seeking a legal form of representation because you dont know what she may have up her sleeve. Plus an attorney can find out just what she may be cooking up if she has an attorney. Dont give up. Once she loses I would take legal action against her. I can feel what youre saying about having the money for a lawyer, check into legal aide. If not, make some kind of arrangement to pay some bills late. Kids come first!!!

    Answer by VaDivaMom at 7:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • There has to be a reason she doesn't want you to have the kids. Where is hubby? Is this ex MIL?

    I agree with someone else. File a restraining order against her. Don't let your children out of your sight. Do everything you can do provide the very best for them. I don't think anyone can just TAKE your kids away. Kids are often best left with their mother.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Okay first off, they will not move have, adjusted children out of a home without cause. So they would have to be in danger, harms way or not cared for. If you feed them, bathe them, provide clothing and shelter, don't have a rap sheet then you have NOTHING to worry about. The courts always would rather leave the children in their current living situation then to up root them just because she wants them to. It would be on her and her lawyer to show the judge that you are unfit. Someone suggested a restaining order or TPO, that might not be a bad idea, but if you are short on funds, they can get pricey with all the court cost. No is she doing his with the girls birth father? Or is she on a complete solo mission? I have seen cases where the father and his mother have won, and the children were taken from their mother, however in those cases the mother was to enter rehab, or their was document proof of child abuse.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 7:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • No judge is going to grant your MIL sole custody of your children. There are no police reports? No CPS reports or files against you? There's no stance for her to just take your children away from you then and she needs to be sent to the looney bin. Sorry you're going through this, but you shouldn't even have to hire an attorney...SHE CANNOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Hi,

    Thank you for your answer. My husband and I separated about 9 months ago. We still talk and are going to see if we can work things out. When we split up I had to put my children in a safe environment. My mother in law said she would watch them for 6 months. That time is coming up on May 7th. It was the hardest thing for me to do because she has been doing this to me for years, and to ask if she would voluntarily was the worst decision I have ever made. Now she wants them forever. I moved to Montana to with my mom to see if I could get things straight, but when I got here things did not go according to plan. She and I don't get along when we live together and she is on my mother-in-laws side. DCF was investigating me but they did not find any reason why my children should not be with me. So, herein lies my problem......

    Answer by nsmelt at 7:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • So wait, so you could get away and "figure things out" you left your children with your MIL? No wonder she thinks she has grounds for getting full-custody. She's got that on her essentially abandoned your children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.