• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone out there had any kinds of special tests such as amniocentesis...

I am 36 years old and have 2 children one who is 17 and the other is 2 and I am almost 19 weeks pregnant and the dr. called today and said my blood work was false positive and I am very nervous. I am going to have additional testing. Anyone out there have you been through tis can I have some advice. Thank you!

ginaa789

Asked by ginaa789 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an amnio. Only with my youngest. I had a nuchal and was given 1:5 odds.

It went well and we found out he was fine. (and that he was definitely a "he" LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had an amnio done at 17 wks because my AFP test came back abnormal. Even tho the ultra sound showed my baby to be ok, I still wanted to make sure, just to prepare myself, if in fact she would have downs. The amnio wasn't too bad. There was dicomfort while the dr. did it, but I honestly think that I felt more because I was stressing. The next day I had mild cramping like a period, which is normal, and everything turned out ok. It was a long wait to get those results tho. i was scared of the fact that I could've miscarried, but I think the dr. told me, that if I didn't miscarry w/ in 24 hours or so everything would be ok. Your water may start to leak, but the dr. said that they could stop that and would be in the hospital a few days. Try and relax and think positive. If you have any other questions, or want to talk, just message me. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009